Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1989 ZX10's starter works great....its either the engine or transmission that stuck LOL. It will roll if put in "N" however it will not go into any gear other then 1st. And in that gear, the clutch will not disengage when pushed in. Looks like I need a transmission, I hope the motor isn't shot. I dropped the oil and it looked "normal". Live and learn. Now I know why I paid a few hundred dollars for a truly almost factory mint bike...Because its broken

·
27,825 Posts
Maybe all you need is a shifter fork, still a lot of work but it's better than a seized engine!

Good luck man!

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
If the starter works great, your motor isn't seized.
If the clutch won't disengage, the bike may have been sitting for awhile and the clutch plates are stuck or the actuator pin is frozen to release the clutch. That's probably why it won't go into any other gear. That's my idea
Don't always think the worse. Start with the simple things first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,

After I posted I was thinking it could be the shift forks. After I removed the plugs I inserted a thin long screw driver down one of the plug holes. I didn't see it move up or down when I hit the starter button but I did see more of a shake. Like the play in the crack maybe. For sure something is keeping that starter from cranking the engine. I hope it has something to do with the clutch being I can't disengage 1st gear when I push the clutch level in or the transimission since I can't go into an other gear. I need to post a picture of this bike, it looks like I just picked it up from the dealer with the addition of black powder coated rims, and a wider rear tire. Is there a way I can remove the engine side cover and peak inside to look for the hang up?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
pull the chutch cover and turn the engine over from there with a socket. clutch plates are stuck together. bike will not shift into 2nd unless its rolling. theres a pos nuetral finder in these bikes. hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got an e-mail from the past owner. He said it was working fine, parked for an hour. Came out and could not get it started .It cranked over a few time then just locked up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts