Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got done reading Christikitty's post about the 07 zx10, im gonna ask ur guys/gals opinions about my future purchase.. i am highly considering a purchase of an 04 zx10 with 23k miles, runs and starts great (witnessed personally) decent tires.. problems are, no lights, plastics, or blinkers, mirrors etc etc... the guy wants 1400 for the bike. it needs some tlc but is in my opinion pretty decent shape.. it has leaky front seals but not a terrible leak.. im curious, is it a decent price for such a bike?:headscratch forgot to mention it has new radiator (not installed) new adjustable vortex rearsets and upgraded front brakes and a new (installed) gas tank...

· Premium Member
5,908 Posts
From what I have seen, a complete 04 zx10 ready to go and in one piece is going for around $5000 to $5500 maybe more. From your list I would say you could have that much in it by the time you get it back together (maybe not) and that would be if you did the work yourself. If you gotta pay a shop, you might be in it for more than its worth by the time you're done.:dunno
Myself, I would probably buy one for $1400 if the frame, engine and tranny are all good, but I like a challenge and am not gennerally known for my smart buying decisions:tard
Actually, I would think it could be parted out for more than $1400:dunno

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have seen, a complete 04 zx10 ready to go and in one piece is going for around $5000 to $5500 maybe more. From your list I would say you could have that much in it by the time you get it back together (maybe not) and that would be if you did the work yourself. If you gotta pay a shop, you might be in it for more than its worth by the time you're done.:dunno
Myself, I would probably buy one for $1400 if the frame, engine and tranny are all good, but I like a challenge and am not gennerally known for my smart buying decisions:tard
Actually, I would think it could be parted out for more than $1400:dunno
yeah i got that.. i will be doin the work myself but the way i was lookin at it is the frame and engine/tranny were all good.. i listened to the engine while it ran and it sounded pretty decent and he rode it around a parking lot for me to give me piece of mind that it actually moves.. but i feel like its a good deal but its gonna sit til riding season so i will have time to fix it up ish..

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Sounds like a good buy, but keep in mind. Fork seals and oil will be about $50 minimum, bodywork could be up to $1000 or better. Then theres the lighting, possible wiring issues, and relays and such. riley is right when he says you have spent your money on a newer bike and have it be in better shape. Now if you plane to use it as a street fighter, or a track bike then I'd buy it.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a good buy, but keep in mind. Fork seals and oil will be about $50 minimum, bodywork could be up to $1000 or better. Then theres the lighting, possible wiring issues, and relays and such. riley is right when he says you have spent your money on a newer bike and have it be in better shape. Now if you plane to use it as a street fighter, or a track bike then I'd buy it.
im not to awful worried about the money issue really... tax time is here and i only technically need 500 bucks out of it for my car, other than that its all bike bound.. but as far as the wiring goes, the guy showed me where all the wires are and all of which have quick connects. and he is also giving me a manual to the bike which shows all wiring diagrams, hose routing, engine rebuild directions. etc etc.. i think im gonna for sure get it but just curious as to how bad of a purchase it really is gonna be.. guess ill be posting again in a few days with pics and more of a detailed explanation of everything..
Thnx for all the input so far guys/gals keep em comin!

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Just make sure of a few key points. Fork tubes. Are they straight with no pits or rust or anything. Are the seals good. Chain and rear sprocket. Is the chain wet and are the teeth good on the sprocket. You said it starts and runs good, but ride it. Make sure the brakes are good and the trans shifts good. not rough and doesnt jump out of any gear at any rpm/throttle position. Tires if they are cracked replace them right away. open the gas cap and smell the fuel. Does it smell like fuel or paint thinner. Is there a lot of rubber balls under the tire hugger from burn outs and stuff. How does the clutch feel? I know it's only $1500 so there is room for repair but still. These are important stuff.

· Registered
887 Posts
might not be a good buy.

for bike missing parts, price needs to be ridicoulously low, way beyond what the seller wants to let it go for.

plastics alone can get you to $1000, the lights can set you to 250+
and depending if you want to bring it back near orginal be prepared to spend alot more.

with most cosmetic stuff missing, consider the bike a "crashed" bike cost racks up.

bluebook value for 2004 Kawasaki ZX1000-C1 Ninja ZX-10R is $4490 at "excellent" condition which is considered almost like it came out of the showroom. private party sells should be around $3500-4000

I dropped a bike before and it ran good and started good, even steered straight. but cost to repair still racked up a whopping 5500. so think it over and make a wise decision.

· Registered
3,929 Posts
Geee, I wonder WHY it has leaky fork seals......

Any guesses guys?? :rolleyes

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
No way, buy ebay plastics and a set of files.

And blaine, my thoughts exactly. This bike has been dropped on its front end hard, multiple times. And probably on its side, other side, and probably on its tail.

· Premium Member
550 Posts

Just wondering what else could need replacing in the forks after that amount of dropping.

Do they suffer from the same issue with #3 rod bearing not getting oil like the 11 does?

· Premium Member
5,908 Posts
private party sells should be around $3500-4000

Not to be argumetative, but I have been looking around and have not seen any of the first gen tens in that range. I am not in a position to buy right now, but if I had found one for under $4000 at the right time I would have bought it. Not saying there aren't any, only that I have not seen any. I think the cheapest add I saw was $5000 and it is not uncommon to see adds for up to $6500. Of course there could be a big difference between asking price and actual price, but just still I dont think anybody around here is gonna let an 04 or 05 go for $3500. If they do i hope I get it:smile

· Registered
887 Posts
Not to be argumetative, but I have been looking around and have not seen any of the first gen tens in that range. I am not in a position to buy right now, but if I had found one for under $4000 at the right time I would have bought it. Not saying there aren't any, only that I have not seen any. I think the cheapest add I saw was $5000 and it is not uncommon to see adds for up to $6500. Of course there could be a big difference between asking price and actual price, but just still I dont think anybody around here is gonna let an 04 or 05 go for $3500. If they do i hope I get it:smile

yup, finding a bike posted under value will be hard if not near impossible.
you would actually have to make the offer, check out the bike find imperfection and do mention to the seller what the bluebook value is and what you are willing to pay. You'd be surprised how desparate some sellers are.

· Registered
7,375 Posts
might not be a good buy.

for bike missing parts, price needs to be ridicoulously low, way beyond what the seller wants to let it go for.

plastics alone can get you to $1000, the lights can set you to 250+
and depending if you want to bring it back near orginal be prepared to spend alot more.

with most cosmetic stuff missing, consider the bike a "crashed" bike cost racks up.

bluebook value for 2004 Kawasaki ZX1000-C1 Ninja ZX-10R is $4490 at "excellent" condition which is considered almost like it came out of the showroom. private party sells should be around $3500-4000

I dropped a bike before and it ran good and started good, even steered straight. but cost to repair still racked up a whopping 5500. so think it over and make a wise decision.
+1
Just sounds like a headache u dont need.Prices on parts to get her back in her uniform state can vary in so many ways and u really wont be able to accurately calculate what everything is gunna cost.Not to mention its got "stunt bike/abused" written all over it.Id say ur best off searching for a good used 04-05 ZX10R in clean uniform state.
Just my 2 cents.

+1 again
Deff not from wheelies/abused:rolleyes

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
That's what loans are for. My GF keeps telling me I can't afford to be buying a "new" (to me) bike every 6 months.

My credit disagrees with her.

Especially since they have all been paid off way early. Hell, I only owe 500 bucks on the 7R and I still have until next September to pay it off. I picked up the 7 with a 1800 dollar trade in, 100 dollar down, and payments of about 100 a month. My insurance at the time was more than that.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha well the funny thing is is that i probably couldnt get financed for a cheesburger lol!!! but thnx for u all opinions.. im gonna go ahead and buy the bike and i guess fix it as problems occur (which apparently they will) again thnx for all the advice/opinions.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Oh my credit is ok, but I have very little history.

At any rate, we are here to help. So since you decided to get it... just take your time, post pics and ask questions.

Start a build thread and keep it in one place if you want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.