Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 zx9r won't start because I think this is what I was informed of that someone drilled the jets out with a drill. It's bored and all to be a 1100. The main jet is do big I can almost put the straw for a can of carb cleaner in it. It's got fire the fuel pump works. It smells like straight fuel when you try to start it. What size jets am I supposed to have and where exactly should I start? Help please.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Are you wanting to know stock jets?
Main jet #155, Main air jet #70, Jet Needle N74V, Pilot Jet (slow) #38, Pilot air screw #120, Pilot screw 2 turns out. Starter Jet #48. Hope this helps you.

To some people its a rocket.
To others it's freedom. (zx9r)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could anyone possibly have pics of what is where? And I'm looking for stock and also looking to know the jet changes I need to do.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
The post I posted are the stock jets. The jets only fit into one spot. I will look and see if I have some pictures.

·
Registered
249 Posts
check the pilot screws and needles/rubber diaphragm. the mains dont have anything to do with starting and idle, also the battery could be going back, use a car that isnt running and see if jumping it works

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried to use an online schematic and haven't had any luck finding where they go like where what is. I know the main is the lower one in the center of the float bowl

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've done some playing around today took the line from the pump to the carbs off to check it out. Shouldn't I be gettin a steady flow especially if it's not hooked to the carbs. It's only does pulse pumps when your trying to start it. This bike is my only way of going and Im starting to doubt my skills with fixing it I need major help. Thanks in advance to any viewers.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I been there bro. Do the carbs look clean? Take a look at your filter. Take it off and pump fuel through the pump and see if that changes anything. I never pumped my fuel pump with the carbs not hooked. Yes it should be steady. When I have synchronized my carbs. I could see the fuel slowly drain. Never doubt yourself. Set yourself up for failure. Do you have a copy of the manual? Think outside the box at times, it helps.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
http://db.tt/IQp2d3vG
That link is to my drop box for the manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay the pump doesn't click when you turn the key on it should shouldn't it to fill up the bowls. And I took my carbs apart lastnight and soaked them in cleaner. Talked to the previous owner about the guy that drilled the jets out. He drilled the low speed idle jets is all he said. Which would this be? And I pulled the hose off and connected power straight to my fuel pump and it pumps hard and steady. But when I plug it into the plug it doesn't click when you turn the key but when you hit the start button to start it it starts to pulse with the engine very inconsistently. What could be going on? So far I've come up to needing to rebuild my carbs with replacement jets and to change my plugs and my possibly has logged oil. I'm concerned about my fuel pump being all jacked up now and it seems like a wiring problem maybe there? Where's the relay for it and how does it know to quit pumping fuel to the carbs or does it have a return set up? Sorry for such a long reply just trying to be very clear of what's going on. Also I do not have a manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Claps1775 thanks for the manual theres tons of info in that. We might be getting somewhere finally.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Good to hear that. I have a copy of the manual on my RAZR, on drop box, computer, and a printed one. Never know when you might needed.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I will have to look at my fuel pump and see what plug your talking about. Engine is out right now for some work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The plug that's directly to the fuel pump it's a red and black wire that plugs to the harness.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
My 99 zx9r won't start because I think this is what I was informed of that someone drilled the jets out with a drill. It's bored and all to be a 1100. The main jet is do big I can almost put the straw for a can of carb cleaner in it. It's got fire the fuel pump works. It smells like straight fuel when you try to start it. What size jets am I supposed to have and where exactly should I start? Help please.
It could be that the jets are exactly the correct size (though I doubt it). Drilling them out is absolutely not a problem, assuming you know what size jet you need and what it's diameter is.

That being said, I simply hate it when people do that instead of spending 25 bucks on new ones of the right size.

That ALSO being said, knowing the stock sizes won't help you out one bit, except maybe to start from there and go up, seeing as the bike is considerably larger than stock.

You may need 2-4 sizes larger than stock, and this will either require kissing a dealer's ass who has a few in the back laying around, an expensive jet kit (not the drop in stuff, the whole kit with a bunch of sizes), or time consuming/possibly expensive ordering of different sizes and trying each one when it shows up.

And the pump shouldn't be coming on when you turn the key on if it is anything like a ZX7R. It won't just come on and prime the system, it is not a fuel inject bike. If the pump is running when you put the key in and to the on position, then something was re-wired to bypass something else.

On my 7, possibly your 9, the fuel pump will only come on A: when the bike is running, or B: when you drop it into 1st gear, let the clutch OUT (so the bike doesn't turn the starter) and then hold the start button.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm I'm gonna have to look at it tonight. And there is a company that makes custom carb jet build kits. I mean they are on eBay but all eBay is is small companies that are trying to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay did a little reading up. The relay has a wire that runs to coil #1 that I would like to say is the switch for telling it to send power to the fuel pump. With key on there is no power to fuel pump but when you try to start it, it turns to about 7-8 Volts. Now at my relay with the key on I have to the white and red wire 10.3 volts and to the red wire 7-8 volts the is while it's got a somewhat dead battery and it's on a slow charge in these readings. Which in my mind for some reason I'm set on that it comes on as soon as the key is switched to on so tht it could fill up the bowls. But mine only comes on when you try to start it which from how the wiring seems to look is about right. Can someone tell me if there should be power to the fuel pump with the key on. Or just when trying to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I know for a fuel injected you will here the pump run to create pressure. I have to say no. If memory suits me, when I cleaned my carbs out and turned the key on. I dis not hear my pump. It did.take a bit cranking till it started. So I am going with that it has power/pumps when your starting it or when its running. Not sure it did not hit me till now. School has the brain all tide up right now. Going off of that. The pump might pulsate when keeping the float.bowls full. That does make sence now. Fuel injected bikes do not have float bowls so the fuel pump will need to run at all times when running unlike our bikes.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Is the low speed and idle jet the pilot jet
Sounds right. There are four components on carburetted vehicles that control different RPM/throttle position fuel volumes. Generally speaking, the pilot air screw works in conjunction with the pilot jet (and float height) to deliver fuel in the idle - ~3,000 RPM range or throttle positions of 1/4 throttle or less. *

* Also see: Factory Pro CV Carb Tuning Procedure

1 - 20 of 21 Posts