Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so everyone here so far has been very helpful...and I am going to hit you all up with another couple questions....

1) Why would I change over from 530 to 520...what is the difference and pros & cons?
2) If I stay with the 530 will I get the same results if I regear to 15/46?
and finally:
3) Again, if I stay with 530 and do the 15/46 change, will a 110 link chain be long enough?

Thanks guys, appreciate all the help. Hopefully as I learn I may be able to offer help to others at some point...lol

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I would do around 112 to be on the safe side for 15/46. 110 might be fine...

Biggest difference? A little bit of weight loss and 520 looks sexier.

Con? Might wear slightly faster, but I don't notice anything drastic.

15/46 is the same regardless of 530 or 520

Josh

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do around 112 to be on the safe side for 15/46. 110 might be fine...

Biggest difference? A little bit of weight loss and 520 looks sexier.

Con? Might wear slightly faster, but I don't notice anything drastic.

15/46 is the same regardless of 530 or 520

Josh
Thanks Josh, I'm still trying to make up my mind on doing the conversion to the new gearing but really don't know what I am looking at by doing it other than more low end and less on top end which is fine. I already have a 530 x 110 chain ordered...jumped the gun a little I guess not having made up my mind and thought about the question after I got the chain...:banghead

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks Josh, I'm still trying to make up my mind on doing the conversion to the new gearing but really don't know what I am looking at by doing it other than more low end and less on top end which is fine. I already have a 530 x 110 chain ordered...jumped the gun a little I guess not having made up my mind and thought about the question after I got the chain...:banghead
I think you'll be fine. I was trying to remember what my chain length when I ran a 15/45 set-up.

With the 16/45 gearing I currently have and the ZX10R swingarm I am at 114 links, so 110 should be fine the more I think about it.

Josh

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you'll be fine. I was trying to remember what my chain length when I ran a 15/45 set-up.

With the 16/45 gearing I currently have and the ZX10R swingarm I am at 114 links, so 110 should be fine the more I think about it.

Josh
Thanks again! Everyone has been great at getting this FNG up and going!! :cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why dont ya jus go with 15/45 setup, jus make sure ur sprockets are 530 if thats wot chain u ordered.. i have 525 on mine and the standard 110 links was perfect

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Ok, so everyone here so far has been very helpful...and I am going to hit you all up with another couple questions....

1) Why would I change over from 530 to 520...what is the difference and pros & cons?
2) If I stay with the 530 will I get the same results if I regear to 15/46?
and finally:
3) Again, if I stay with 530 and do the 15/46 change, will a 110 link chain be long enough?

Thanks guys, appreciate all the help. Hopefully as I learn I may be able to offer help to others at some point...lol

1) 530 to 520 will give you less rotating mass which will equal quicker acceleration and quicker turn-in. However you may not necessarily notice it on the street unless you straight blaze.

2) No, you will not get the same result but the shorter gearing will improve acceleration noticeably.

3) The 110 links will not be long enough unless you dial in some ride height which elongates the chain.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) 530 to 520 will give you less rotating mass which will equal quicker acceleration and quicker turn-in. However you may not necessarily notice it on the street unless you straight blaze.

2) No, you will not get the same result but the shorter gearing will improve acceleration noticeably.

3) The 110 links will not be long enough unless you dial in some ride height which elongates the chain.
:headscratch sorry for being a total noob here...but what exactly does that (3) mean? :tard

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
:headscratch sorry for being a total noob here...but what exactly does that (3) mean? :tard
Technically, raising the rear of the bike, shortens the wheelbase making, for example, a 110 link chain "longer"

More of a play on words really.

I think you'll be fine. Although, I notice you mentioned 15/46 gearing. 15/45 is really a better choice IMHO for a canyon carver gearing.

Josh

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Technically, raising the rear of the bike, shortens the wheelbase making, for example, a 110 link chain "longer"

I think you'll be fine. Although, I notice you mentioned 15/46 gearing. 15/45 is really a better choice IMHO for a canyon carver gearing.

Josh
LOL...how did you know my route? Lots of them canyons here in Colorado, and I love riding them! Maybe I will reconsider the 15/45 then. My girlfriend just picked up an 05 CBR 600F3...I have not been permited to ride it yet..lol..but with her weighing in at all of maybe 120lbs and 5'5" tall this bike flat hauls ass with her on it...she loves it! :crazyloco Want to try to get this re-gear done pretty soon and go out with her and take in some of the nice weather!

So, how does one "raise" the rear of the bike? I am guessing raising the suspension, but what does that do for changing the control...feel...of the bike?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
If you raise the rear or lower the front it helps with quicker flickability, and turn in. Though is can upset the geometry and be unstable if you go too far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you raise the rear or lower the front it helps with quicker flickability, and turn in. Though is can upset the geometry and be unstable if you go too far.
So, it's just something that you go a little ways with and try it, then go more or back it off as needed I assume. Sounds like it's not something that you just crank up or down lol

·
Registered
9 Posts

Josh
Surely raising the ride height to shorten the distance between the
sprockets will result in an over tight chain when the rear shock is
compressed as the length of the swingarm is the same an when straightened
out the sprockets will be the standard distance apart.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Surely raising the ride height to shorten the distance between the
sprockets will result in an over tight chain when the rear shock is
compressed as the length of the swingarm is the same an when straightened
out the sprockets will be the standard distance apart.

Am I missing something here?
You don't tighten the chain like a guitar string

Josh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts