Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, as soon as i start my zx11, smoke starts comming out pipes which connects the engine block. The fan does not kick in. Radiator fluid seems to stay where it is. The coolant is topped off. I also changed the oil.

Please guide me as to what connections I have to check to make sure if any eletrical connections aren't messed up. I had removed the battery for charging and also disconnected the fairings for cleaning purposes.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you! :headscratch

·
Registered
65 Posts
On the left of the radiator is a switch that has 2 wires going to it, make sure those wires are connected, casue that activates the fan. As for the smoke, is your head leaking coolant from one of the lines? there is a tube that runs across the front of the motor with 4 openings that have O-rings as gaskets, that runs into the head.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolant is not leaking, I presume, since the coolant level is constant. Also few days back I was lubing the metal parts of the bike with WD40. I sprayed some on the exhaust headers. Since then a white smoke(like steam) is visible.

Also should the fan be kicking in right after I start the bike. If not then after how many minutes. Also the coolant does not seem to change level. Do I have to wait a for some time before I see any of these in action?

Please advice.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
On the left of the radiator is a switch that has 2 wires going to it, make sure those wires are connected, casue that activates the fan...
And if you jump those two wires (connect them together), you bypass the thermostatic switch and the fan should turn (even with ignition key at "off"). That way, you can at least check if the fan's wiring is OK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I added a bypass switch so I can turn the fan on at any time, I usually use it when running in town at low speeds. I have a full Muzzy w/ a stage 2 kit & it runs hot, bypass switch minimizes heating at low speed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello folks, as soon as i start my zx11, smoke starts comming out pipes which connects the engine block.

The WD40 would explain the smoke:headscratch

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How should I remove the WD40 from the pipes? Hosing it down with water is good enough?

Please advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dont worry about the WD40 it will eventually all burn off. THe fan wont come on just because you start the bike. It should kick in when the water temp needle gets above half way round the scale- thats when mine does. Coolant level wont change till engine is nice and hot, thermostat is open and coolant gets expanding. Then you will see a slight increase in the header bottle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just replaced the stock fan with an aluminum one from Muzzy ($35) as the nylon fan was melting from being too close to the pipes. (My thermostat was bad too, so the bike got hot without the fan turning on) You might have a quick look at the fan to be sure that it isn't the source of the smoke. Of course the smell probably would have tipped you off to that pretty quick...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts