Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I engage my bike into first...after starting it up it engages loudly...and when I shift thru gears theyre heard too.Ive owned many kawi.s and this was always a characterist thing but I figured this would not be an Issue with this year???would an oil change help that?? I read a thread on a zx9 that said this resolved his issue.which brings the next question...what oil should I run???synth.or what???Ive read the pros and cons on threads about that too...mobile1 synth.isnt really a synth.oil???...the guy I bought the bike from said dont run a synth. Its hard on clutch plates.guy at work rides v-twins said that he runs lucas oils???the bikes got 14k on it. any advice????

·
Registered
217 Posts
I run Golden Spectro Synthetic blend in all my bikes. I have used it for 25 years and I have never had an oil related failure of any kind and I do like the way it makes the tranny shift. Just my .02 worth. This subject can get a little crazy, oils do that. Jay

·
Registered
63 Posts
One thing that will help with the shifting of your ZX-11 is to pre load the transmission. This means before you roll off the throttle to shift, get your foot under the shift lever and lift it up. Continue lifting it up the entire time you roll off the throttle, squeeze the clutch and ease the clutch back out again. You should find your shifts are a lot smoother - another benefit is it's easier on your transmission.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
One thing that will help with the shifting of your ZX-11 is to pre load the transmission. This means before you roll off the throttle to shift, get your foot under the shift lever and lift it up. Continue lifting it up the entire time you roll off the throttle, squeeze the clutch and ease the clutch back out again. You should find your shifts are a lot smoother - another benefit is it's easier on your transmission.
+ 100!
I have been shifting that way since 2~3 years now and it is much smoother than before.

In your case, check if your clutch lever is not bent or too close to the handlebar; it could be as simple as this (but maybe not...). Personally, I don't think different oil (of equal quality) will make such a difference but that's just me...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Joel and Claude, that is how I shift too...

But I think jon was wondering when he shifts into first while stopping (ie taking off from his garage on his way out)...my does the same thing, especially if the engine is a little cold...been doing that for almost 39,000 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hold the clutch in for a few seconds before pressing down on the shift lever. When the oil's cold it's thick, and it takes longer for everything to stop spinning when you squeeze that clutch lever in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts