Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

No SPark NEED some help plz guys im stumped

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  2000kawzx-12r 
#1 ·
:headscratch alright 92 zx7 running one night and dies. Wouldnt start back up. Took off tank and messed with coils and wires and started. Went back out next day wount start again so i bought spark tester. No spark. New coils,wires,boots,sparkplugs and still no spark. Tested wires into coil and getting some reading into coil #1 but no reading into coil #2. Tested with fluke meter. im leaning towards bad cdi at this point?? but my buddy (on this forum too) is not so sure... Ideas? sugestions plz?

#4 ·
Frustrated

Ok my manual says I can test cdi and pickup coil with a special kawasaki pocket tester part # 57001-983. Has anybody used this or know where I can buy one becuase I cant find one. It says not to use just any tester becuase it could damage the cdi or give false reading? Or possibly another way to test or ideas?

#5 ·
No 11v is not good. It needs to read 6v. I bet the resistor in the ignition switch is bad or the connection is. Take the switch apart, and check the resistor to make sure it is still connected and not blown.

#6 ·
OK ill check that. The cdi i also ran ohm test on and it did infact fail a few parts of the test. BUT (scratches head) according to cylmer cdi and wiring harness is from a 95/96. But yet coils are definitely from a 91-92. I belive at one point this bike must have been a wreck and the idiot PO rebuilt it from w/e they could get there hands on. It has an r tail,rear sub frame,exhaust bracket. 95-96 cdi and harness, 91-92 frame,carbs,air box,coils,plastics. zx6 gauges. I just cant belive mixing the harness and cdi and coils from different years worked like it did. She definitely is a Frankenstein bike lol. But I'm addicted she WILL rise again even if i gotta take her apart PC by PC.

#8 ·
You test the Grey wire with everything connected and backprobing the connector. Otherwise you will see battery voltage and not 6 volts. If the resistor blows you won't see any voltage then.

The other thing, ALL ZX7 engines need a fully charged and perfect battery to start. Anything less and the CDI won't function correctly.

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.