Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, as soon as i start my zx11, smoke starts comming out pipes which connects the engine block. The fan does not kick in. Radiator fluid seems to stay where it is. The coolant is topped off. I also changed the oil.

Please guide me as to what connections I have to check to make sure if any eletrical connections aren't messed up. I had removed the battery for charging and also disconnected the fairings for cleaning purposes.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you! :headscratch

·
Registered
138 Posts
The fan won't kick in untill the engine reaches a certain temp.The smoke your seeing is most likely the cleaner you used to clean the bike burning off the header pipes.If the smoke is comming out of the end of the exhaust (can)you most likely have some leaky valve seals. This happens with age. The valve seals keep the engine oil that is lubricating the cam shafts and other top end components from running down between the valve stem and the guide and into the combustion chamber.When the engine is hot everything is expanded from the heat so you ge a good seal, When you shut the bike off and it cools oil gets down past the seal and sits on top of the valve and when you start the bike the fuel flushes the oil into the combustion chamber where it is ignited with the furl causing blue oil smoke to come out the tail pipe. Annoying but not really harmful.It usually clears up in a couple of minutes.Hope this helpes. Crowd.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you "Crowd" for your quick and knowledgeable response. You guessed it right, I had used WD40 on pipes to get some rust off. Is there anything I could do for the smoke not to leak out from the engine and pipe connection?

Regarding the fan, how long generally after starting the bike, does the fan kick in? Also is there any way to see if the coolant is doing its job? I do not see any change in coolant level when the bike is running.

Please shed some light.

Thank you!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The fan could take a farily long time to kick in, depending on the temp. If you are sitting still idoling the engine I would guess about 10 min. You should have a temp guage in the instrument cluster. When it is about 3/4 of the way up the fan should come on, also at that point the thermostat should open and you should seethat guage start to drop .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts