Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Im a beginner looking to buy a new bike.
Im 6"1 210 LBS 13 shoe size.
I kinda have my eyes on the zx-6R.
Is the ninja zx-6R a pretty good handling bike for a beginner of my hight and weight.
Another question i have is do you have to be a mechanic to own a bike? How much maintanance does a ninja need?
If i buy a new bike, do bikes tip over easly, can the wind tip the bikes over, cuz i hear alot of people say its better to buy a used bike than a new one cuz your going to tip it over. I dont plan on being careless if i buy a new bike.
Thanks everyone for your replys.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey clutch;

Let me offer my $.02

The 6R is an excellent choice for a beginner sport bike. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of the bike though. If you just want to get familiar with riding, and start out slow, then the 6R might be a little too much for you.

I know guys that have been riding for years that never take their 6R to its potential. I know for sure that I don't take my 10R anywhere near where it can go. As far as height and weight... I'm 6'6" and 230lbs, and I fit fine on my 10. The 6 isn't much different in ride height and riding position, so you should be fine.

If you are looking for something sporty to give you the feel of riding so you can get used to it, I would suggest the 650R. It's essentially the same bike, with a more upright riding position, with less torque and top end.

As far as bikes tipping over easily... I've never had mine blown over by the wind, and it's never been knocked over, so take that for what it is worth.

Again, just my thoughts on the subject, and others may contradict me, but I hope I've been able to help you a bit.

Again, welcome aboard.

G

·
They say that there are two types of riders, those that have tipped, and those that will tip. It's not that motorbikes tend to just tip, you can stand up against a pretty good wind - it's not like a semi will blow you off the road, but the reality is that on a motorbike concentration is key and accidents do happen. Whether your backing it out of your driveway and turn the wheel to much and drop your bike, or maybe you hit a slick part of the road in a turn.

I just started riding last season and I have loved owning a pre-owned bike. Reason #1 You might just not be a biker, and bikes are quite a bit like cars, if you buy new you are going to lose a lot of money if you end up reselling it. #2 Inexperience means that you are very likely to lay it down - the average life of a sportbike is 8 months (people tend to make a mistake sometime in that time) This doesn't have to be you unless your careless. A pre-owned bike means that once again you don't have this brand new, 12,000 dollar, shiny machine that you've now tenderized one side of.

You do not have to be a mechanic, but you have to be willing to do maintenance. Chains need to be sprayed/greased once a week, tire pressures more important than a car, you shouldn't pressure wash your bike - clean it by hand. The reality is we should maintain our cars this well to, it's just that on a bike you'll notice it/it becomes more dangerous if you skip out on maintenance.

If you are new PLZ PLZ PLZ Budget to get PROPER GEAR (Helmet, Good Jacket, Riding Pants, Riding Gloves), and Take a course it'll teach you a lot of lessons! IT's better to spend 500 bucks to learn how not to lay down a bike than 5000 dollars to replace a fairings and learn the same lessons.

But after saying all of this, I have to say that the last 9 months I have owned my motorcycle, including one wipe-out, have been the most fun I have had getting from point A to point B.

That's what I have to say from one fresh rider to a potential rider, as for the ZX6R Someone else'll know more about it. Hope you decide to get up on two wheels man!
Drew~

·
Registered
200 Posts
They say that there are two types of riders, those that have tipped, and those that will tip. It's not that motorbikes tend to just tip, you can stand up against a pretty good wind - it's not like a semi will blow you off the road, but the reality is that on a motorbike concentration is key and accidents do happen. Whether your backing it out of your driveway and turn the wheel to much and drop your bike, or maybe you hit a slick part of the road in a turn.

I just started riding last season and I have loved owning a pre-owned bike. Reason #1 You might just not be a biker, and bikes are quite a bit like cars, if you buy new you are going to lose a lot of money if you end up reselling it. #2 Inexperience means that you are very likely to lay it down - the average life of a sportbike is 8 months (people tend to make a mistake sometime in that time) This doesn't have to be you unless your careless. A pre-owned bike means that once again you don't have this brand new, 12,000 dollar, shiny machine that you've now tenderized one side of.

You do not have to be a mechanic, but you have to be willing to do maintenance. Chains need to be sprayed/greased once a week, tire pressures more important than a car, you shouldn't pressure wash your bike - clean it by hand. The reality is we should maintain our cars this well to, it's just that on a bike you'll notice it/it becomes more dangerous if you skip out on maintenance.

If you are new PLZ PLZ PLZ Budget to get PROPER GEAR (Helmet, Good Jacket, Riding Pants, Riding Gloves), and Take a course it'll teach you a lot of lessons! IT's better to spend 500 bucks to learn how not to lay down a bike than 5000 dollars to replace a fairings and learn the same lessons.

But after saying all of this, I have to say that the last 9 months I have owned my motorcycle, including one wipe-out, have been the most fun I have had getting from point A to point B.

That's what I have to say from one fresh rider to a potential rider, as for the ZX6R Someone else'll know more about it. Hope you decide to get up on two wheels man!
Drew~
+1 nicely put.

i just started riding a few months ago and i purchased a 98 ZX6R as my first bike; it's a bit heavier than the modern ones, but i am having a blast riding the thing! good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Actually there is a scenario in which bikes will spontaneously fall over, when you park them facing downhill on a steep incline. I did this once and even though the bike was in gear the bike was warmed up enough and the hill steep enough that the bike very slowly crept forward till it rolled enough that it got in front of the kick stand foot and the kick stand popped up and the bike fell over.

As for dumping bikes I probably dumped my bike half a dozen times when I first started riding. Then I went through 5 bikes, 100,000+ miles, and 10 years without dumping a bike.

Then I dumped two bikes within 2 weeks. One in my driveway the other in a 20mph zone in the middle of downtown.

Experienced or not it just takes a moments inattention.

Oh and I have also been rear-ended twice. One time I got knocked off the bike, once I didnt

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I thought we were talking about wind knocking over a bike when it was sitting still...

Not all the stupid things that each of us have done that CAUSED our bikes to fall over! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts