Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2000 Kawasaki ninja 900cc motor on a go cart. It Started just fine when I got it But the water pump needed to be replaced. I wanted to repaint the frame on the go cart so I took the motor off got the new water pump put it on. then put the motor back on the go cart after a couple weeks of me working on the go cart frame electric start will not work when I turn the ignition on the fuel pump does not prime. But when I push the electric start sometimes it makes some kind of noise near the fuel pump. Got a new starter relay didn’t fix the problem, The battery I got seems to be good I tried starting it by touching the positive and negative terminals with a wrench just to see if it cranks and it does but there’s no spark to the spark plugs. I have no clue what is wrong any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
The clutch safety switch is the first thing i would check.
There is a safety lockout on these bikes that includes the clutch switch, the sidestand switch and other such safety measures.
No spark points to safety lockout almost every time on any bike.(or security lockout due to no 6v reading to ecu from ignition)

I am not as familiar with the 9 as I am the 7, however they all work off the same principles of not firing or priming until all systems are go.
make sure engine is in neutral, clutch is pulled in and sidestand wiring is jumped., wiggle the clutch and keep messing with it until your hear that sound
the sound of victory

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a safety lockout on these bikes that includes the clutch switch, the sidestand switch and other such safety measures.
No spark points to safety lockout almost every time on any bike.(or security lockout due to no 6v reading to ecu from ignition)

I am not as familiar with the 9 as I am the 7, however they all work off the same principles of not firing or priming until all systems are go.
make sure engine is in neutral, clutch is pulled in and sidestand wiring is jumped., wiggle the clutch and keep messing with it until your hear that sound
the sound of victory
I

the sound of victory

·
Registered
785 Posts
cut the wires and twist them together to close the circuit. use some electrical tape after that to keep it from touching bare metal

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also the Neutral light on the dash has seem to stop working even when it’s in neutral. Could the clutch safety switch cause that? And is it a little plug on the side of the motor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cut the wires and twist them together to close the circuit. use some electrical tape after that to keep it from touching bare metal
Also the Neutral light on the dash has seem to stop working even when it’s in neutral. Could the clutch safety switch cause that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also the Neutral light on the dash has seem to stop working even when it’s in neutral. Could the clutch safety switch cause that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Tried starting it after connecting the kickstand switch wires together and messing with the clutch handle and it didn’t start, do you know how to test to see if it is the security on it? I’m not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Disconnect the clutch switch and put a jumper wire or paperclip inside the leads to complete the circuit. Google bypass clutch safety switch 2000 zx9.
Im not sure if that model needs to have the neutral light on to fire. It sounds like it may. Like I said im not too familiar with this model. Turbo has one ..ask him it needs to be in neutral to fire.
Google is your friend. thats how I fix all my bikes.
I would google these things and keep narrowing it down until you get there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Disconnect the clutch switch and put a jumper wire or paperclip inside the leads to complete the circuit. Google bypass clutch safety switch 2000 zx9.
Im not sure if that model needs to have the neutral light on to fire. It sounds like it may. Like I said im not too familiar with this model. Turbo has one ..ask him it needs to be in neutral to fire.
Google is your friend. thats how I fix all my bikes.
I would google these things and keep narrowing it down until you get there.
[/QUOTEwill try it that out and see what happens thanks for your advice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bypassed the clutch switch and when I pressed starter button it started to crank for a second I thought it was fixed...but it started cranking by itself lol no mader if you hit the kill switch or turn the key off it was still cranking. I have too unplug the battery to get it to quit.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well at least its turning over.
Sounds like you are on the right track to get it fired tho
Check to see if your start button is sticking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took apart the starter and kill switch button every thing looked fine I cleaned it up a little. It doesn’t do nothing will match the starter button until I bypass the clutch and it cranks continuously without stopping unless I unplug the battery I tried looking for spark when it does this and I have no spark at all search Google relentlessly looking for answers but I have no luck yet. I wanna replace the neutral switch to see if that might fix it

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeah now that I remember, I had a bike once that would not spark until that neutral light came on. i cant remember what bike that was, but I do remember getting the green light to light up and then the bike fired.
Check the wiring from the switch, It likely is not the switch itself, it may be just the wiring.
Without having the bike in front of me makes it hard to diagnose, but see if you can get the green light on the dash and get back at us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I press the starter button The fuel pump makes a kind of a clicking sound but I don’t hear the fuel pump prime when I turn on ignition and no spark From the spark plugs. but when I bypass the clutch switch with a wire and then press the start button it cranks continuously unless pull one of the terminals. What should I try to do?? when I got the motor it ran start right up and when I brought it home I started it up and I couldn’t leave it running long because It had no water pump. What could’ve happened to make it not run when I just pulled the motor off moved it a couple feet put it on some tires for a couple weeks then I put it back on the go cart and tried starting it and no Luck I feel like its something simple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah now that I remember, I had a bike once that would not spark until that neutral light came on. i cant remember what bike that was, but I do remember getting the green light to light up and then the bike fired.
Check the wiring from the switch, It likely is not the switch itself, it may be just the wiring.
Without having the bike in front of me makes it hard to diagnose, but see if you can get the green light on the dash and get back at us.
The neutral light works when I put it in neutral I tried starting it in neutral I put it in gear and held the clutch. Ill take a look at the wiring and see where that will take me. Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
Time to check the wires coming from the ignition switch. If you have bypassed all the sidestand, clutch, and neutral switches, you may have a faulty ignition.
I know with the zx7r its the grey wire that should read 6v. I am not as familiar with the zx9, however, there are only a few reasons for "no spark" all of them revolve around safety lockout and or ignition.
I think you are getting close
hang in there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts