Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just got a new 2012 ninja 250r and finished breaking it in and plan on dragracing it at the track, problem is i know when against other dedicated race bikes i wont be able to hear my bike. so the only way i would know when to shift is by staring at the tach which i want to avoid. i know i could just remove the muffler but i dont know if that will hurt the bike, ive read other forums with people arguing about that. i would like a way to ride to the track with stock exhaust and when i get there be able to do something to make the bike louder without putting on aftermarket exhaust systems (because i dont have a lot of money) or causing more wear than needed on the engine.

i can fix cars and ive rebuilt my cars engine, but i dont know much about bikes.

it is a dual carb engine with analog guages.

will maybe replacing the muffler with a straight pipe fix any issues that might come up with having no muffler? maybe im just being paranoid but i would like this bike to last as long as possible

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts
I think it's great that you want to take your bike to the drag strip instead of doing it on the street. Not that I've ever done that.:rolleyes
Not being a smartass, but if you're racing "dedicated" race bikes, they'll be long gone in time for you to hear your own motor.
Maybe look into installing a shift light.
Welcome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's great that you want to take your bike to the drag strip instead of doing it on the street. Not that I've ever done that.:rolleyes
Not being a smartass, but if you're racing "dedicated" race bikes, they'll be long gone in time for you to hear your own motor.
Maybe look into installing a shift light.
Welcome!
the races are not whos faster, its who has the most consistent time, basically you tell them what time you think your ride will go and you have to get as close as possible to that time without going faster, the tree is set up so that both racers should end up at the finish at the same time.

i would stick a shift light on it but the problem is the gauges are analog, i dont think you can stick a shift light on an analog gauge.

dont underestimate how loud a dragstrip is. ive been going every weekend for 2 years and every time i cant even tell if my car started or not. (no i have not been racing, but I want to)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Lol a ninja 250 at the drag strip?
He's right you'll be sitting still and they'll be across the line.
If you don't have alot of money, just ride the bike for what it is.
Any form of racing (even lame drag racing) is expensive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol a ninja 250 at the drag strip?
read post above

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
lol a ninja 250 at the drag strip?
+1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
look im still new to bikes, and ive never drag raced before, im not going to jump on the track with anything bigger than a 250, i just got my motorcycle license on monday.

will removing the muffler at the track cause short/long term problems?

if yes is there any way to prevent that, thats easy to do at the track?

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts
Aww c'mon guys. It's cool to race no matter what you have. I would love to do it if the track wasn't so far away. I give him credit for getting out there and having fun.
If it's timed, wouldn't that be the same as one person leaves the starting line differently than the other? So maybe the loudness wouldn't be as important. I would think 1st gear would be the only issue. Once you're rolling, you should have plenty of time to glance down at the tach inbetween shifts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aww c'mon guys. It's cool to race no matter what you have. I would love to do it if the track wasn't so far away. I give him credit for getting out there and having fun.
If it's timed, wouldn't that be the same as one person leaves the starting line differently than the other? So maybe the loudness wouldn't be as important. I would think 1st gear would be the only issue. Once you're rolling, you should have plenty of time to glance down at the tach inbetween shifts.
i dont know ive never drag raced before, but yes you leave the start at a different time than the other guy unless both of you have the same time.

i would make things a lot easier if i could hear my bike though, i guess i wont know for sure until i try. ill be going this sunday

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not to sure how your pipe looks. But i've done this plenty of time on all my bike and it works like a charm. and none of my bike have ever broke, not one, in any shape or form.

Cut your pipe open, remove all the shet from the inside. Take a pipe thats is shaped like a funnel, from about 38 mm to 32mm, just a example, put that in with some stuffing. Weld her up and off you go. It wont do anything to your motor. You can upgrade to some flatside carbs aswell. I've seen it here in South Africa. It turn that little 250 into a animal...

Good luck and just enjoy it...

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
A 250 can still 12 o clock and throw you off if you ride it too hard, believe it or not.

Sounds like a good thing to start on to learn throttle control.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
going way back ... um 20 somthing yrs ... I removed the wadding from the muffler ..... it's only there for sound represson anyway, and cut it in half.
Dont change the length of the exhaust pipe itself only the (can) muffler.
but even so, a 250 will still be fairly quiet.
go with the shift light and when you have more funds purchase a louder/larger bike.
Good luck bud, have fun and wear the gear

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got back from the drag race. i dont need to make the bike louder. my best time was
RT 0.568
60' 2.345
330' 6.721
FT 10.512
MPH 64.12
its not fast but once i get used to it, it will be a great bracket bike. so 0-60 is about 10 seconds, thats way off from what the dealer said (i knew he was lying) he was trying to tell me it would do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Something doesn't sound right... Your 250 should be hitting 60 in less than 10 seconds. What where your shift points?

BTW were you doing the full 1/4 or just an 1/8?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
a 250R with a 120 lb midget of a test rider can do a 0-60 in about 8 seconds.

Someone like me, at about 230 lbs, brings the power to weight ratio up to nearly the same as my SUV which does a 9-10s 0-60.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I'm thinking it was an eighth mile track, too.
64 mph would be awful slow for a quarter mile.
I think an old Pinto could do that, but maybe I'm wrong............again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im shifting just after 12k, yes i am on a 1/8th mile track, im in 3rd gear close to 13k when i cross the finish line. i weigh 180lbs with all the gear on. my mph around 62-64

1 - 18 of 18 Posts