Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it goes. My friend and I (the girl that got her first bike, the YZF600r) went for a moderate ride out east from where we live to show her where a group I ride with goes on Sundays. She pulls up to the house around 1PM and has a friend of hers on the back of her bike. Now keep in mind, my friend only has about 3-4days seat time on this bike and still getting to know it. So we get ready to go riding and everything is going great. She taking corners really well, doing about 70MPH and hitting some long sweeping turns. Well at the halfway point we stop at a BP station out in a Mayaka City, and take a quick break. Well we get back on our bikes and I show her some of the more technical reducing radius 25MPH corners I usually take at 70-80 on my 7. Since shes with me and riding two up, and not really a skiled rider yet, we take the corners slow at about 40 or so. Enough to get a small lean but still have fun. Well we get to the end of the road and stop again and all is going well till we turn back and start heading home. So just to stretch my bikes legs a little I open her up to a brisk 150MPH in a straight and then slow down to let my friend catch up since she was only doing about 70 or so. I look in my mirror and see this 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel barreling down on me like hes gonna squish me like a bug and passes me blowing black soot all over me. I'm what a dousch, and keep riding letting my friend catch and shes yelling and hollaring over the intercom systems we have about the asshole in the truck almost hitting her before he passed. Some guys are assholes. Anyway I said just let it go and get your head back in the game and we continued on our way back to the halfway point to rest a little before the trek home. Well that's when all hell breaks loose. All of a sudden her mind reverts back to when she had this 50cc scooter and shes scared to lean the bike to get it back through the 25MPH hairpins we had to go through before. First turn a little wide but not too bad. Second turn scared the shit out of me. I go through it fine with no issues about 50MPH after signaling her to slow down a little so that she being inexpirienced doesnt come in too hot and go wide again due to on coming traffic. She freezes up for some reason and expecting her to be right behind me the next thing could've warranted clean shorts. I hear a scream, tires screeching and a noise that sounded like metal on plastic smashing, and look to my mirror. What I saw was what looked like her trying to mount this 3/4 ton Dodge truck, while playing chicken with a white Lincoln Towncar. I immediatly grabbed a handful of brakes while downshifting getting to turn back to make sure that if she went down I was there to do a much as I could to help or call 911. Thank God she didn't go down and she caught up to me and I let her take the lead. Every turn after that, she was either wide or almost in the dirt, so we stopped at the BP we stopped at first, and shared a Monster thinking the sugar in it would help get her head back in the game long enough to get home. It worked. I took her passenger with me on my 7 and we started on our journey home. My thinking is if that asshole hadn't freaked her out like he did in the first truck she might have ok the rest of the way home. Anyway I know it wasn't me but I'm still a little shaken by it. She's home now and taken it easy. Still alive and working through a panic attack that started about 6 hours ago.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Sounds like a fun day. Glad nobody got hurt.

But I do have 3 things;

1. Use your enter key every once in a while. That got kinda hard to read.
2. You should have had her passenger with you the whole time since she's still a beginner.
3. She should have been leading the whole time. If the experienced person is out front it's harder to watch their moves and tell them some corrections they could make, and it's easy to fall into your own habits and take off leaving them feeling like they have to push out of their comfort zone to keep up. That's when mistakes are made.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1. Sorry about the enter key.
2. I did say I'd rather have her passenger with me instead but she insisted which is why we took it slow.
3. I took the lead on a few parts due to that she didn't know the road so I could signal to slow down for the turn, and to point out hazards in the road, before she hit them. I do agree with you though I kept a moderate pace of 70MPH in the straights, and constantly checked to make sure she was still there. I also slowed to about 40 when we hit the more "fun" corners. Since we had our Blinc M1's on and linked we could talk to each other and I constantly made sure I wasn't moving too fast for her.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I'm glad all are ok............yourself included Christi.

Sounds like this gal friend of yours needs a ton more seat experience before riding with anyone on the back...........I'd make that pretty clear to her. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
3-4 days of riding then puts a passenger on the back?

I didnt ride 2 up until i had about 10,000km under my belt...

dont take the chance...

Now this would be a different story if your friend had head on a car, killed herself and her passenger...

We have all had cagers shake us a little from time to time... but to be a new rider with a pasenger is STUPID in my opinion...

Here in Ontario we have a law preventing some of that stupidity... cant take a passenger until 3 months after you get your M1 (beginners) then you do a riden for your M2 (intermediate)... then you wait 24 months to do your full M licence

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Here in Ontario we have a law preventing some of that stupidity... cant take a passenger until 3 months after you get your M1 (beginners) then you do a riden for your M2 (intermediate)... then you wait 24 months to do your full M licence
Smart.

Here in PA you can go to the DMV, take a written exam, and ride away with a motorcycle "permit" (not license). This means you can't ride at night but most guys don't care. I know guys who have been riding for years with just their permit.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
I know people that have ridden for years without even having a motorcycle endorsement....

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3-4 days of riding then puts a passenger on the back?

I didnt ride 2 up until i had about 10,000km under my belt...

dont take the chance...

Now this would be a different story if your friend had head on a car, killed herself and her passenger...

We have all had cagers shake us a little from time to time... but to be a new rider with a pasenger is STUPID in my opinion...

You are all right guys. I even told her I didn't feel comfortable with them riding 2up, but they were gonna do it anyway. Whether I went with or not. So the least I could've done was give her passenger a spare leather I had. At least she wore that. Both had helmets. Jeans.

ZX7RJoe. In Florida You can't even get a permit anymore. You spend $189 on a mandatory MSF course and then go straight to the DMV to get your license. Two day course on 125cc's and they call you good.

Chukus: I didn't put anyone on the back of my bike for almost 3 months, but half of that was due to the lack of rear seat. Then after my low side, I have only had someone on the back twice. So.....

My friend is still rattled but I think she'll think twice before she puts a rider on the back next time.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I refuse to take passengers. I don't want to be responsible for hurting anyone but myself when I go down.... :(

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty much the same way unless there is no other choice.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Chukus: I didn't put anyone on the back of my bike for almost 3 months, but half of that was due to the lack of rear seat. Then after my low side, I have only had someone on the back twice. So.....

My friend is still rattled but I think she'll think twice before she puts a rider on the back next time.
I'm just glad everyone is ok...........I HOPE your friend learned a valuable lesson and will take it easy and realize that it's NOT as easy as it appears......must learn to crawl before you walk, walk before you run, etc...

:smile

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
good to hear everyone is ok lets hope your friend gets back on or has the good sense to know it's just not for her . either way we all learned a good lesson here, rookies don't need passengers imho. my wife rides with me sometimes but she knows the risks and she is very confident that she will come back in one piece(silly girl) .

·
Registered
676 Posts
glad everyone is ok! hell, ive had my bike for almost 4 years and i just now started riding 2 up! bought my girl a whole set of gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots...she had gloves already!) and we did out first (short) trip saturday. she kind of squashed me up to the river, she just didnt know how close or how tight she had to hold on. once she thought of it as riding a horse, something she did a lot of when she was younger, she gripped me with her knees, used her hands a little to stabilize her upper body when accelerating, and used the tank when i slowed down. the return ride was awesome! and the day after was even better. i think shes going to be a good passenger :) almost forgot she was there a few times!

so yea...not a good idea to be a newbie and taking someone on the back. just as bad is having a passenger who doesnt know how to be a good passenger! that can cause all sorts of handling problems.

hope your friend gets the confidence back...just take it slow, and work up to more technical riding things.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I won't take passengers either and a nice way of telling some that is............A nice rear seat cowl. Im sorry this bike is a 1 seater and it's all mine. I wonder if her passenger even knew what they were doing on the back!! A uninformed passenger not leaning correctly can totally Fu&^ up your line! My friend almost killed both of us when we were 16 yrs old and he leaned the opposite direction in a hard corner and we went off road into someones driveway luckily. Passengers are dangerous and can fall off and also drag you off just like a person drowning in water they will cling to you for life!!!

I have had my motorcycle endorsement for 18 yrs. In fact i passed the riding test the same day after getting my car license because all i had was a motorcycle:smile

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well her passenger quickly became my passenger on the way home and she did ok. I would weave a little back and fourth in my own lane just to see how she would be on a tighter turn and she did exactly what she should have done. Leaned with me. I even forgot she was back there a few times too. When I started weaving she started laughing cause it was fun to her I guess.. I told them both next time we go out she can ride with me and get a better idea whats its like. I'll take it slow of course, well slower than by myself. But I believe she'll do fine.

As for my friend shes still riding and coming out of it. We stuck a new tire on the front of her bike today and showed her on my bike how to gently scrub out the new tire. She did some light weaving just to get the idea of how the bike would handle at around 35MPH and it got her feeling much better..

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
ya ... 1 up for the first few years even... imo

very lucky not have ended badly

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
/facedesk at this thread.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
reducing radius 25MPH corners I usually take at 70-80 on my 7.
That is going to get REAL ugly, real soon, one day...... :eek:hno

Been there, done that.... 3800 foot level at Hurricane Ridge back in 85... Threw my Ninj 900 off of a 100 foot cliff.... 25mph, reducing radius @ 70mph in 2cd gear @ 7500rpm....

are forum bragging rights really worth it when riding like that with a newbie, who is carrying a passenger?

IMHO, totally irresponsible....

but thats just me, and like Squidge, Ive been known to be an asshole.... but we both speak our personal truth...

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
This whole thread is full of extreme overconfidence and a general lack of respect for gravity.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts