Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, what's up? Just got my '06 blue zx yesterday... from the looks of it the guy didn't take very good care of it in the mechanical sense so I want to start it off right. I figured that the gold casing on the right next to the rear brake is the transmission. Now I opened it up and I can't see any oil at all in there. Is this normal? It seems to clunk really hard into first gear when I downshift and it's a little tricky from neutral too. If you guys had any advice on fluid levels, what fluids you use and where they're all located I'd appriciate it. (No, I didn't get an owner's manual from the guy.)

Thanks for all the help, this place is freakin sweet. I'll be lookin some of you up since I see a lot of Seattle area guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i haven't looked at an 06 but most bikes have a sight glass for the oil as far as the oil i use a synthetic blend 5/40 wt just make sure it isn't energy conserving oil it can cause the clutches to slip

·
Registered
234 Posts
So you're saying you took the right side engine cover off and no oil came out? Um...VERY YIKES.

Does the sight glass in front of the rearset on the right hand side show any oil?

You can order an owner's manual from here: http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFram...oductTypes.asp?intCatalogID=1&CatalogTypeID=4

I'd be very very wary of taking possession of a bike that had been apparently run without oil. It must have had some in it though or it would've blown sky high.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Try removing the the oil drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan and see if you get any oil that way. While your at it, change the oil filter as well. Re-install the oil pan bolt, get a gasket and bolt the side cover back on. Fill the engine by removing the filler plug located on the clutch side right below you should see a sightglass w/two lines... be sure the bike is level and fill to the top line or just below the top line. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts