Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent some time on the forum now but haven't gone through all 96 pages or whatever it is so I'll ask instead. Is there any known problems/fixes or anything else I should look at to be proactive instead of waiting for something to happen and be reactive? At 16,000 I don't think much has been done to it as I the previous owner did log in the manual when maintenance was done and a few other things. Here's a pic of it, not like it doesn't look like about any other one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
@ 16k, imho, you can ride with impunity. When u get to hit 20,000+check and adjust the valves. The bike is incredibly reliable, so its quite possible to ride it for years and pack on the miles w/o ever doing much to it except regular maintenance.

However, there is a ton of after market stuff out there plus upgrades, and upgrades and upgrades.

For me, the 1st thing I would buy is a decent Jet Kit

Then Suspension

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Why the jetting kit? I've heard there's a flat spot around 3-4,000rpm so is it to get rid of that or other something else? What do u recommend on the suspension and why?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Why the jetting kit? I've heard there's a flat spot around 3-4,000rpm so is it to get rid of that or other something else? What do u recommend on the suspension and why?
The jet kit is really recommended because once installed the ZX11 truly opens up, especially with the K&N air cleaner. About 6-7 grand becomes crazy, idle improves and sounds throatier, mid range comes alive... I did the whole Race Tech dance, and though front handling improved immeasurably, nothing beats the Gas Nitrogen feel of the ZZR 1200 front forks which are a straight bolt on. You do need the ZZR 1200 fender & mounting hardware though.

Installing the 2/4 degree advancer also improves mid range torque. Come on, how often are you at 9-10 grand anyway? Pulls out of corners like an insane MonoRail now.... OH, wait a minute, been there, done that.....

Rear suspension: I just installed the rear spring, (cheap @ twice the price), kept the shock stock. However, many have done the complete swap out and loved it.... Rumor has it that the rear spring was tuned for a 150# Rider, hence its undersprungness and lack of feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm assuming that the jet kit comes with different size jets and not the stock size BUT I am kind of carb dumb so maybe there is a difference between stock and aftermarket even if they're the same jet sizes? If not, is there a particular size that's best or is it dependent on elevation/where your located at?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only real known problem is the oil scavenging. If ur gonna run it hard keep ur oil level above the glass. The full mark is for using every gear to get to speed limit. Ir its gonna get above 7k rpm make sure ur at least to the top of the glass. #3 rod doesnt ring doorbells. It knocks and not very patiently ?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
So I'm assuming that the jet kit comes with different size jets and not the stock size BUT I am kind of carb dumb so maybe there is a difference between stock and aftermarket even if they're the same jet sizes? If not, is there a particular size that's best or is it dependent on elevation/where your located at?
Kit comes with everything you need to dial her in. They also have an excellent Support line, so 1 afternoon and you will be smiling ear to ear with each snick of the gear.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
The only real known problem is the oil scavenging. If ur gonna run it hard keep ur oil level above the glass. The full mark is for using every gear to get to speed limit. Ir its gonna get above 7k rpm make sure ur at least to the top of the glass. #3 rod doesnt ring doorbells. It knocks and not very patiently ?
Yeah, just DO NOT WHEELIE....... and u will be golden

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check your valves at recommended interval of 6000 miles. If your happy with the power delivery, leave it alone. If your not going to ride really fast on the street and twisties ( over 70 mph on corners and up to 100 mph through sweepers) and just cruise and tour, leave the suspension as is and enjoy the ride. The bike is bullet proof if you do the maintenance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got home yesterday afternoon if was about 60 out. Moved some crap around in the garage and got the bike out. 44555 miles. Started up and took my first ride of the year. I had gaskets and valves done last spring( guy said valves were perfect as is). Replaced air intake boots. New tires ( Michelins) Runs very well now. This year it's gonna be gas and go. I paid 1250$ 4 years ago. Tires helmet gear parts and labor my return to riding is at about 3000$ i thought about selling it and getting something newer and lighter but just can't do it!! Pretty amazing that 5 years ago I had 35$ to my name and was sleeping in my bosses garage... Now I got a zx11.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Might look into a new rear sprocket as well. I change my counter sprocket every other time,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Might look into a new rear sprocket as well. I change my counter sprocket every other time,
I always change both but the last 2 times the rear never looked worn at all but the front counter did. I use the OEM counter so Im confused how your going through 2 chains for 1 counter sprocket. I get between 25 to 30,000 each set.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I always change both but the last 2 times the rear never looked worn at all but the front counter did. I use the OEM counter so Im confused how your going through 2 chains for 1 counter sprocket. I get between 25 to 30,000 each set.
I go thru a rear tire every summer too.....front, every other summer Oh, didnt I mention? My bike has 70,000 mile on it... I never let my chains go more then 15-20k. Aluminum spockets last me a summer as well, so I went to back to steel. The Tecno Marchesini Mags make up for a few more ounces of a steel sprocket. Over the last 40000+ miles since Ive owned her, Ive been thru 3 rear sprocket sets, (1 of those was aluminum), 2 counters and 3 chains, and I only buy EK ZZR chains..... I then sell them when they r replaced or donate them to a needy Member here on the board

1 - 16 of 16 Posts