Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i haven't riden before and i'm very serious about getting a bike. I was wondering if you guys thought this would be a decent deal. a 98 zx6r that needs a little attention not much for 2000. only problem is that is has 44,000 miles. owner says:
The only parts the bike needs is:
-rear brake pads
-rear break lever
-fairings - fibreglass fairings run around 465.00 on ebay

New parts:
-new motor out of a 2002 zx6r with 6,000 miles on it (prev.owner)
-brand new MICHELIN PILOT POWER tires with no wear they have not been mounted yet.
-new battery as of jan 2007
-front brakes (prev.owner)
-new oil and filter
-new ngk plugs
-cleaned carborators (jetted correctly for the exhaust)
-newer chain and sprockets(prev. owner)
-full stainless steal muzzy's exhaust with a aluminum silencer.(prev. owner)
-new after market tail lights and front blinkers

so waht do you think for a first bike? i know it's going to be dumped so thats why i was wondering if it was a good deal.
also, do they make high mount exhausts for these bikes? and is it possible to throw a 2001 headlight and front cowl on it? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd stay away. From the sounds of it, it's been crashed (more than once). You're unlikely to know if the bikes set up properly given that you have never ridden before, and this will lead to an accident.

Also, there's nothing worse that having your mates all drop by with their bikes asking you to join them for a ride-out, and you having your bike in bits in the garage.

If you do buy it, be prepared for plenty of spanner time. People don't swap engines for the fun of it. There's usually a reason.

·
Registered
990 Posts
All depends how much work you want to do & if you are up to it.

Replacement fairings will either be used genuine Kawasaki which will give good fit but be very expensive OR pattern aftermarket stuff that you will have to make fit, which is an absolute load of hassle unless you have experience.

A guide to see if later bodywork will fit is to check the part #'s for the fairing subframe, if identical there is a good chance it will fit though no guarantee. look on http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp? - click Motorcycle then look up parts diagrams for the various models.

I assume from what it needs it has been crashed. You need to be very wary in case something has been cracked or bent that is not obvious. Fairing subframes twist easily & seat rear subframes are prone to damage as well. Frame alignment is impossible to check visually. You need to factor in a frame & rear subframe into the cost as a safeguard if you are being realistic with costing the rebuild. you also need to check forks & wheels for damage.

Do you know someone that has experience with bikes to have a look over it for you & guide you through sorting any problems?

Bottom line is it could be a bargain but if there is an unexpected cost you may as well have bought a bike that was right in the first place :squint

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
most of my friends are into their sports cars, so unfortunately i dont know anybody that does know a lot about sport bikes. he said $2000 obo for the bike. Well thanks for the heads up. I won't get to excited about it then. thanks guys

·
Registered
102 Posts
do you mean you have literally NEVER ridden before? If not you may want to look into the ninja 250. You can pick one up for a comparable price and its a great first bike. I just sold my 06 for 2500 and i have to tell you im so glad i learned on that bike before i got the zx6r cause it IS a world of difference between the two. But the 250 really helped a lot experience wise. A new 250 goes for 3k plus all the dealer crap but you can usually find a used one in good shape anywhere from 1500-2500. You just need ot be careful with used bikes and if you dont know yourself take someone with some experience to check it out and look for signs of real abuse. Sorry for the long response. Good luck to you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts