Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gals), Looking foward to getting some helpful tips and direction on my latest project. 2001 ZX11 that I plan to build into a sport touring machine:crazyloco Ordered the Givi bags today and pick it up this weekend in GA. It is nice already with 6000 miles and a muzzy full exhaust (hate the left side exit though)and corbin w/backrest. Plan on a total teardown for tuning and cosmetics. I would love to see some pics of some other 11's . All the ones I have found are pretty generic so far. I hate the frame and trim color:rant That blue grey color is horrid! It is going to be satin black when I am done. I will post pics this weekend. Crash

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thought I would practice some more with pics. My old turbo in background after I painted it for the new owner, my freind in north GA Bill.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Love the pics. Keep us posted on your project. Really like the paintjob on the 750Turbo. I had one in the 80's and loved it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I loved it to but was riding it to a point that I was killing it. Scraping pegs, kickstand, ect.. I decided to get rid of it before I did something to it that I would regret. Did you notice the intercooler on front? I will keep try and keep posting on my 11 build. Still cant decide if I want to paint the bodywork yet. Also tossing around the idea of turbo!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I polished mine out while waiting for a new engine. Frame,swingarm, bar ends, footpeg brackets, forks and wheel lips. Alot of work but looks great once its done. took me about 3-4 month's with no rush. Makes that right side of the swing arm look a whole lot better than that ugly gray paint Kawasaki picked out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not into the bling. I am going all satin black sparkle on everything, including wheels. Rear Pegs and bar ends, round chain adjusters, rear brake and shifter, sprocket rear brake stay and a few "little" things will be chrome but other then that thats it. I am also thinking of putting the "black chrome" emblems from a 1998 on as well. I am working on getting the big "ninja" on the side panels made in same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO, I wouldn't mess repainting such a good looking bike :mfclap , here is mine...it was a few years back and I was ready to run down to Eureka Springs, AK with a couple of buddies...I would consider polishing the frame though. Good looking bike.

I have a Givi tail trunk but I usually don't use it, I just strap on the tank bank and seat pack, it isn't much; so I tend to smell a little on my trips:rofl :crazyloco

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I am not planning to repaint the bodywork (I like the color) just all the blue/grey color. It will be black sparkle satin, except for the dash surround pieces. They will be going body color (red). I will chrome some little stuff like chain adjusters, rear pegs, rear brake and shift lever, brake stay, ect. I will NOT polish the frame or extend the swing arm. I never have liked those. I also plan on putting the black chrome emblems on from a 1998 model.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buy the way, I switch sprockets on a lot of bikes. Is it possible to go down one in the front or do I need to go up in the back? Just want more down low and mid. Thanks

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
For chain life's sake, it's always better to go up at the rear. 47T is very frequent choice on ZX-11. You can choose to use a front 16T instead if you prefer but chain prefer a larger rear one.

In case you don't know, front sprockets are interchangeable between ZX-11D (not ZX-11C) and ZX-12R. So if already have a 16T for your ZX-12R, you can use it on the 11.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn Claude, You are da man!!! Yes I allready know about the front sprocket. I have a 17 ZX11 sprocket on my 12. I agree a 16 is the stopping point for me. I would rather go up in the rear.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got bike home yesterday! Took it apart a little today and found it has a K&N (good). Also found this damn screen thing bouncing around in the airbox. I could not find anywhere it would fit snug. It got chucked, hope I dont need it, it looked like it would do more harm in abstruckting the airflow then anything. Also found this thing to have ALL emisions and epa junk intact. I will ride it for a week to see how it does and when it gets pulled apart its going on a diet! Any ideas on tips for removing all this junk. I know it is kinda a no brainer on most but anything I need to watch out for? I got the factory pipes also in case the GIVI"s dont work with the Muzzy. Man did it clean up GOOD! This thing is MINT! I will post more pics this weekend. Anything to watch out for on flushing the coolant also? I know my wife thinks I am fucking nuts, tearing a bike apart after I purchase it. You all know what I mean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Screen goes into airbox cross ways and vertical. It locates in grooves in the lower and upper halves of the box. Curved side towards top I believe. Can be a bit tricky to keep in position until both halves of airbox are mated.I think it is to catch big stuff if the inline filter in the ram air inlets goes awol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Be careful removing the emissions stuff - there's lines that affect the bowl pressure due to the ram air system. All that stuff has to be plugged / vented properly.

Sorry, I don't know all the details but don't just go tossing everything that looks like emissions crap.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, thanks for the advice. I will keep the screen chucked, I dont think much is going to pass the filter. I will be carefull if it goes on a diet. I dont think I will mess with it much though. This freakin thing is SMOOTH! I love it! I had to tighten the steering head bearings today (they were a little freaky loose) and think i will back them off just a hair to be perfect. I let one of my mech freinds check it out today and he told me it needs the needles raised with a washer to get rid of the low speed sputter because its lean) and a carb sync but thats it as far as the way it runs. He also recomended a valve adjustment because of the milage (6700) and being a new bike. I am having so much fun I think I will put the GIVI's on and ride the shit out of it.

Claude, or anybody? Do you all have a recomended washer thickness to go with on the needles. Thanks

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
...Do you all have a recomended washer thickness to go with on the needles. Thanks
It is recommended to shim the needles between 1mm (0.020") and 2 mm (0.040"). Regular flat washer for M3 (or 1/8") size usually works perfectly with a thickness of 0.20~0.026".

And yes Pacman, you can perfectly shim stock needles. In fact, they are the only ones that need shimming because after-market ones can be raised with their adjustable clip.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool, I found some .023 needle washers from an old jet kit he had lying around, I will try those and see what happens. Got the lubes changed on both bikes this morning as well as cleaned some more. The more I ride this 11 the more I like it. I think it needs a taller windscreen and some bar risers though. I am spoiled with my 12, I have helibars and tall double bubble. Took those damn ugly reflecters off the side panels too. That cleaned up the sides alot. I will move my gps mount from my 12 to the 11 later today. Man, cant wait for the GIVI's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts