Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just purchased a 1999 ZX7R this morning - it has been standing since 2015.

It runs, but is rough. A few things please:

1. Starter decides whether it wishes to work or not. Is this a common fault, and is there an easy fix? The battery is fully charged by the way. You can here the click and sometimes it turns, sometimes it doesn't!
2. It smoked very badly on start up. It took a very long time to clear. I immediately assumed a worn engine (27,000 miles), but taking a step back I thought dirty fuel, dirty carbs, needs a full service. How common are smoky engines?
3. Is there a link available to the handbook?
4. Is there a link available for a full workshop repair manual (before I buy one!).

Many thanks

BSR67
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,606 Posts
Hi

Just purchased a 1999 ZX7R this morning - it has been standing since 2015.

It runs, but is rough. A few things please:

1. Starter decides whether it wishes to work or not. Is this a common fault, and is there an easy fix? The battery is fully charged by the way. You can here the click and sometimes it turns, sometimes it doesn't!
2. It smoked very badly on start up. It took a very long time to clear. I immediately assumed a worn engine (27,000 miles), but taking a step back I thought dirty fuel, dirty carbs, needs a full service. How common are smoky engines?
4. Is there a link available for a full workshop repair manual (before I buy one!).

Many thanks

BSR67 View attachment 21842
  • Probably the starter relay or dirty contacts on the killswitch, start button, or ignition switch
  • I would think it was burning off carbon
  • @KevA is my favorite member resource of service manuals

·
Registered
4,606 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
  • Probably the starter relay or dirty contacts on the killswitch, start button, or ignition switch
  • I would think it was burning off carbon
  • @KevA is my favorite member resource of service manuals
Thank you for this.

I've bought a new clutch switch.
Will investigate contacts.
Suspect an earth issue - lights and indicators dim despite full battery

Not sure about the carbon, but a good suggestion. It was blue/white. After a period of running on old/dirty fuel, it became darker - rich condition.

I've ordered a carb rebuild kit. Worse comes to worse, I'll put fresh rings and valve stems seal in it.

Manual received.

Thank you! I'll update

BSR67

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Thank you for this.

I've bought a new clutch switch.
Will investigate contacts.
Suspect an earth issue - lights and indicators dim despite full battery

Not sure about the carbon, but a good suggestion. It was blue/white. After a period of running on old/dirty fuel, it became darker - rich condition.

I've ordered a carb rebuild kit. Worse comes to worse, I'll put fresh rings and valve stems seal in it.

Manual received.

Thank you! I'll update

BSR67
IIRC blue/white smoke is oil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC blue/white smoke is oil
Agree, and it was chuffing it out at first but did reduce.

I'm going to fully service the bike, carbs, fresh fuel (it has been standing 7 years) and then see if it still smokes.

If so, I'll either rebuild the top end, or get a low mileage replacement engine. It appears certain things, like cam chain guides etc are no longer available.

I have a video of it running, but am unsure how to upload.

Thx

BSR67

·
Registered
4,606 Posts

I'm going to fully service the bike, carbs, fresh fuel (it has been standing 7 years) and then see if it still smokes.

If so, I'll either rebuild the top end, or get a low mileage replacement engine. It appears certain things, like cam chain guides etc are no longer available.

Thx

BSR67
Upload to YouTube. Post link here.

Unfortunately, you are right about the CC guides no longer being available from what I remember.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts

Thx

BSR67
Also, here ya go:

Those two links are for the top cam chain guide that attaches to the inside of the valve cover. They like to disintegrate over time. I couldn't find the other two cam chain guides on Evilbay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Upload to YouTube. Post link here.

Unfortunately, you are right about the CC guides no longer being available from what I remember.
Here's the short YouTube clip. And this is after it had been run for around two minutes or so. It's so damn loud the neighbours came out to stare so we pushed it into the garage and dare not rev it anymore! Will update after a carb rebuild and decent service.

BSR67

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, here ya go:

Those two links are for the top cam chain guide that attaches to the inside of the valve cover. They like to disintegrate over time. I couldn't find the other two cam chain guides on Evilbay
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Here's the short YouTube clip. And this is after it had been run for around two minutes or so. It's so damn loud the neighbours came out to stare so we pushed it into the garage and dare not rev it anymore! Will update after a carb rebuild and decent service.

BSR67

I like that exhaust. Some of that noise might be the valves. If you don't know when the valves were last adjusted, it's worth looking into.

Old fuel has reduced octane and is more prone to pre-ignition detonation from what I understand. I could be wrong though.

Also, these engines are damn near bullet proof. Good for many, many, many more enjoyable miles. I've got somewhere between 50k-60k miles on my L model. No signs of it being worn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like that exhaust. Some of that noise might be the valves. If you don't know when the valves were last adjusted, it's worth looking into.

Old fuel has reduced octane and is more prone to pre-ignition detonation from what I understand. I could be wrong though.

Also, these engines are damn near bullet proof. Good for many, many, many more enjoyable miles. I've got somewhere between 50k-60k miles on my L model. No signs of it being worn.
Many thanks. It's a 'Blue Flame Twin Port' and it's LOUD! Buying the baffle inserts to shut it up a bit!

Will keep digging and update.

Thx

BSR67

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE!

OK Guys, so grateful for you help so far. Here's an update:

I received the manual, thanks
I bought a secondhand starter relay, and a new battery and starting seems to be reliable now.

On to the smoky engine issue .......

So, a guy locally was selling his ZX7R via Facebook and said he'd changed the engine. I messaged and asked why. He said it had started smoking because a famous issue is that people leave the fuel tap on, and the carb needle valves let by and fuel pours into the engine. It ruins the bores/rings over time.

So, I drained the oil and OMG, there was 5.2 litres of the thinnest fuel stinking oil - I've never seen anything like it. It is clear the carbs had been 'letting by' and causing havoc. The good news is, that during storage, the fuel was off until a couple of days before I bought it (I messaged the seller). The fuel tap works, I checked. I took the plugs out and turned it over on the starter and cylinder two was like the Trevi Fountain. Absolutely billowing petrol. It's a good job I didn't try and start it as I think I would have experienced hydraulic lock.

Anyway, I pulled the carbs, cleaned them, and fitted new needle valves, seats, float bowl gaskets, and air screw o-rings. Changed oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, plugs. Fitted new battery and after a lot of cranking the old girl fired into life.

It continued to smoke for around two minutes. I took it for a spirited run up and down the road, and sure enough, it cleared and heavens, it pulls like a train. Proper old school angry power. I was very impressed (my other ride is a 2017 BMW S1000R, so I take some impressing!).

Started it again an hour later and no smoke! Yippee!

So, next jobs are:

Carb Balance
Valve Clearances, and
Full brake rebuilds. They hardly work. I've bought some Four Pot calipers for the front. The 6 potters are rubbish.

Anyway, here's a brief video of it running. So damn loud! Have bought the baffle insert!

ZX7R after Carb Rebuild and Oil Flush! - YouTube

I've also taken a big risk and purchased a bodywork set from China. Hopefully they will be OK .....

Thanks

BSR67

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
UPDATE!

OK Guys, so grateful for you help so far. Here's an update:

I received the manual, thanks
I bought a secondhand starter relay, and a new battery and starting seems to be reliable now.

On to the smoky engine issue .......

So, a guy locally was selling his ZX7R via Facebook and said he'd changed the engine. I messaged and asked why. He said it had started smoking because a famous issue is that people leave the fuel tap on, and the carb needle valves let by and fuel pours into the engine. It ruins the bores/rings over time.

So, I drained the oil and OMG, there was 5.2 litres of the thinnest fuel stinking oil - I've never seen anything like it. It is clear the carbs had been 'letting by' and causing havoc. The good news is, that during storage, the fuel was off until a couple of days before I bought it (I messaged the seller). The fuel tap works, I checked. I took the plugs out and turned it over on the starter and cylinder two was like the Trevi Fountain. Absolutely billowing petrol. It's a good job I didn't try and start it as I think I would have experienced hydraulic lock.

Anyway, I pulled the carbs, cleaned them, and fitted new needle valves, seats, float bowl gaskets, and air screw o-rings. Changed oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, plugs. Fitted new battery and after a lot of cranking the old girl fired into life.

It continued to smoke for around two minutes. I took it for a spirited run up and down the road, and sure enough, it cleared and heavens, it pulls like a train. Proper old school angry power. I was very impressed (my other ride is a 2017 BMW S1000R, so I take some impressing!).

Started it again an hour later and no smoke! Yippee!

So, next jobs are:

Carb Balance
Valve Clearances, and
Full brake rebuilds. They hardly work. I've bought some Four Pot calipers for the front. The 6 potters are rubbish.

Anyway, here's a brief video of it running. So damn loud! Have bought the baffle insert!

ZX7R after Carb Rebuild and Oil Flush! - YouTube

I've also taken a big risk and purchased a bodywork set from China. Hopefully they will be OK .....

Thanks

BSR67
That's what i'm talking about! This is great news!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts