Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike (2005 Ninja ZX6R 636) two days ago and everything seemed fine. I then I went to ride today and the bike stalled in first when I had the clutch level pulled. I checked the cable and it looks fine. Any ideas on what this issue could be. Please help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started taking the clutch apart, could it just be a little worn out and not disengaging completely? I don't really know what I am looking at or for and am new to clutches.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't really know what I am looking at or for and am new to clutches.
Probably a bad idea to start pulling it apart then. Clutches have lots of small parts that have to be put back EXACTLY like they came out.

Also, who says its the clutch thats making it stall? Is the bike pulling forward like its in gear untill it dies? Or is it just sputtering out and dying while at a dead stop?

Pulling forward: Possible that the clutch isn't dissengaging properly so motor can't disconnect from wheel. This COULD lead to stalling but is unlikely

Sputtering and dying while at a DEAD stop: Could be SEVERAL other things. Fuel, spark, air but probably NOT clutch.

Everything above is my opinion. Look in the service manual for proper clutch cable adjustments. Good luck. More info on exactly whats happening could help us give more informed answers.

EDIT: Just remembered when my girlfriend got her 04 Zx6 she had a similar problem. Rolling up to a stop her motor would sputter and die. She swore she had the clutch lever pulled all the way in. I test rode her bike over and over and could NOT get the problem to happen while I was riding it. We concluded that her small hands couldn't get the lever all the way back even though she FELT like she had it all the way back. We bought her some adjustable levers off ebay that she could grip better. Problem never happened again. Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it is the clutch because after I can feel it. If I shift it into first and pull the clutch lever in, I can roll the bike but you can feel the extra friction from clutch not being fully disengaged. That friction is enough to stall the motor at idle.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know it is the clutch because after I can feel it. If I shift it into first and pull the clutch lever in, I can roll the bike but you can feel the extra friction from clutch not being fully disengaged. That friction is enough to stall the motor at idle.
If this is really the case, you should be able to put it up on a rear stand and it should run fine. I would double check by doing this to make sure its the clutch. If it IS the clutch, double check all your clutch cable adjustments with the service manual. If everything is in spec, just buy new friction plates and springs and swap them out. If you don't feel comfortable doing it on your own, take it to someone.

How many miles are on the bike? Any idea if the clutch plates have ever been changed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I got it all apart and I am going to measure the friction plates tomorrow to see if they need to be replaced. They look a little worn and that is probably causing the issue. the bike has about 16k on it.

I dont think they have ever been replaced. All of the adjustments were pretty much maxed out as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I measured the fiber plates and they are good, so is the steel. Could I have been experiencing this clutch issue because the bike was not fully warmed up and was sitting on the kickstand all night. Basically because the clutch was a little dry?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the kickstand up while doing this? I found out yesterday that the engine cuts itself out immediately when coming out of neutral, if the kickstand is down :rolleyes

·
Registered
260 Posts
it was the kickstand, at least I know my clutch is good!
fail. :crackup

Important fact of life #1: The simplest solution is usually the answer.
Important fact of life #2: If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

Both seem to apply in this case. Glad you found the problem but next time, check off #'s 1 and 2 from the list above before you start digging for answers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it was the kickstand, at least I know my clutch is good!
HAHA I knew it! I got pulled over the other day because i failed to notice a cruiser with its lights and sirens on behind me and two others (I beleive i didn't notice him because he had a low buzzing horn sound, which could easily blend in with the sound of the exhuast. :thefinger) But put the kickstand down without getting off the bike, get ready to go after and it keeps dieing when shifting into first! My heart dropped at first but after a few attempts it came to me! The kickstand! :mfclap :banghead

1 - 14 of 14 Posts