Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am riding a 2004 Victory Kingpin and am looking at getting a new bike. I found this 03 zx9r and idk why but I feel like its priced kinda low. Tell me what you think of it. Im going to check it out next week.

http://www.state8.com/showcaseprodu...443&unitType=1787&unitBrand=&unitShowroom=156

I was originally looking at buying a new 650r but then found this and a few other bikes. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to jump into a zx9r? Or should I start off a lil smaller of a bike, like a zx6r or cbr600?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I think the nine is priced right for a dealer bike. If it were a private seller, the price should be about 500 to 750 cheaper. The dealer expects you to negotiate so do it. If the dealer will give you some kind of legitimate warranty, might be something to think about. Do not buy it without riding it. You are not a neub. You own a bike now. You could buy anything you want to spend your hard earned cash on. It's all in you head and your right wrist. The 650r is a great bike. It really does it all.

You may have more grins on your face with the 9R, though. :smile

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive only been riding for about a year. What should I look for in these bikes? Any problems/issues in particular that these bikes have?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
The 02/03 ZX-9R (F1/F2) are the pinnacle of the 9R line. They don't have any issues to look out for that would be uncharacteristic of any motorized vehicle. The F series has a bit more vibration than the earlier series 9s, but that's about it.* Not a deal breaker by any means.

The price is high though. On Craigslist that bike would be listed for ~$3,600 and one in pristine condition can fetch about what the dealer is retailing it for.

If you're wondering why, it's because it's a discontinued model line and there are so many 10R/1000cc bikes in its league, that the price must be competitive.

ZX-9R Wiki

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The retail value for one, if kbb is remotely accurate, is $4,160. Ill try and talk em down, maybe throw in a helmet and jacket in for around that price.

You guys dont think that will be too much motor for me, being that Ive only rode a sportbike once? Some people tell me going from a cruiser to a sportbike is a big difference and to go with a 600cc at most. GSX650F, CBR600RR and 650R is what Ive been told I should start with.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Oh. No, you're going to kill yourself. No doubt about it. I was just vouching for what a great bike the F2 is and that if you shopped it, you'd probably find one at a more reasonable price. KBB at $4,1xx is more like what you'd find an '04 ZX-10R/GSXR-1000/R-1/CBR-1000RR at.

The 9R is not a bike for careless exuberance. Your "some people" are steering you right and looking after your best interests. Mine aren't my first bikes. Had they been, I wouldn't be writing this today.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Speaking from experience, going from a cruiser to a sport bike is honestly not that big of an adjustment. You have a lot more power on tap. Just take it slow until you learn your limits.

·
Registered
55 Posts
imo if the 9 is what you like by all means buy it, your the one who is going to be riding it.. my first bike is a 2008 zx10r and all i can say is I LOVE HER!!! best decision i ever made buying a litre bike

·
Registered
841 Posts
buy the 9. It's a little heavier than the 650r, but not as heavy as your Victory. Just control your right wrist and you will be fine. Remember, it's the other people on the road you have to worry about (well, most of the time) and they will try to kill you no matter what you ride. And if you need to get out of the way....twist the throttle and you are gone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im gonna go check it out on thursday, see how I like it, and then on sunday Im gonna check out my buddies 01 zx6r. Ill decide which I feel more comfortable on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
my first bike was the 9 i have now and iv only been riding since last year. yest be easy on that throttle and you will do fine, get used to the bike throttle by holding the clutch longer than you normally would while rolling on the gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya Im not really worried about getting on the throttle too much. I mean once I get used to it I would like to open her up once but I wont be doing that anytime soon lol

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
So Im going to look at this bike today, finally! You guys got any tips or anything I should know?
Try to keep an open mind. Remember the salesman sells bikes every day. He or she is a pro. Listen. If the high pressure tactics start, just smile and play along. Until money actually changes hands, you're still safe. If you want to get the best deal, be prepared to leave the dealer and wait for the phonecall that will come the next day or 2. Otherwise, if you feel good about your negotiated price and the bike, go ahead and pull the trigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should be similar to buying a car, right? Ive never bought a used car tho, but still shouldnt be too much different then buying new. They probably dont have too much room to work with tho money wise on it. Idk we'll see, depends on the condition of the bike as well.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Should be similar to buying a car, right? Ive never bought a used car tho, but still shouldnt be too much different then buying new. They probably dont have too much room to work with tho money wise on it. Idk we'll see, depends on the condition of the bike as well.
Unless it's a consignment bike, they will have plenty of room to negotiate.
Just like buying a car. You know the reputation used car salesmen have. They have the wholesale value, (black book value), or less into the bike. If you really want to know what they have in it, contact some pawn dealers in the area or relatively close by. That's how much the real value of the bike is. Then allow the dealer to make about $200.00-$250.00 profit. The salesman has to make something.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My first sportbike is the 9 I'm riding now. I had ridden a dual-sport for years, but I was worried about jumping all the way to a 9. No problem at all, it doesn't get crazy unless you get into it. I'm glad I didn't start with something smaller. Kid I work with got a 9 for his very first bike, he's about a foot shorter and 50lbs lighter than me and he hasnt had any problems. I'd go for it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had both the 2000 ZX6 and a 2000 ZX9.
They both go like stink, just the 9 has a more aggresive top end.
Bulletproof engine and nothing really to worry about mechanically.
Both bikes feel pretty similar to ride tho the 9 is wider between your legs.
Like the other members have said, careful with the throtte.
But that applies to the 6 as much as the 9 really.
What colour is it??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts