Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just came across this forum and hopefully it will help me with questions on my new 2017 ZX14R with little over 4k miles I recently bought this after selling my 2005 ZX10R loved that bike but I owned it for 6 years was ready for something else. According to the dealership my zx14r came with a few mods from the first owner mods include rear cowl, carbon fiber front fender, foot peg guards, dual full brock exhaust system, solo seat, 36t rear sprocket, clutch and clutch spring upgrade, levers, fender eliminator, kill switch tether, tail tidy, ecu reflash, double bubble windscreen, foot pegs, lowering links adjustable and front end lowering straps -- not sure about these might take this off questioning if this is street legal

Looking forward to taking this new bike out for the season and i'm sure I will have questions about it as the weeks go on!

·
Administrator
58,624 Posts
Welcome!
Not sure about being legal but most of the mods on the bike were used from drag racing
If you're not drag racing then take them off
I've heard going a couple teeth lower on the rear sprocket but 6 teeth seems a lot, 42 is oem

·
Administrator
58,624 Posts
With traction control off and full power,
If you go up in teeth on the rear or a bigger sprocket it turns into a wheelie monster
If you go down in teeth or a smaller sprocket it will take off slower but keeps the front wheel planted or more control and will give better 1/4 mile times

·
Registered
13 Posts
What changes when you go up or down teeth exactly with the bike performance ?
Smaller front or larger rear lowers the gearing. Think "I'm in 4th but it feels like 3rd on a standard bike". Increases acceleration, lowers top speed. Uses more fuel.

Larger front or smaller rear raises the gearing. Some loss in acceleration (or you will be in a lower gear to compensate). Raises top speed (if you disconnect the limiter and you have enough HP to overcome the drag at higher speed). Can save fuel.

Gearing Commander

This link is to an online calculator for changing sprockets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you that does make sense I'll have to play with that link tonight when I get off work

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!
Not sure about being legal but most of the mods on the bike were used from drag racing
If you're not drag racing then take them off
I've heard going a couple teeth lower on the rear sprocket but 6 teeth seems a lot, 42 is oem
What would be recommended to remove or change exactly for regular use not drag strip, So long as not illegal is it worth changing it? She only had 1 owner with 4k miles the shop said it was an older gentleman and this bike hurt his body so he got rid of it

·
Administrator
58,624 Posts
Depends on how you want to ride. Everyday ride then remove the links and straps.
Try it first
I'm an older gentleman, (shut it @57x), and I actually feel better riding my 14 with a bad back
I think your dealer fed you some bull

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a very comfortable ride way better than my zx10r! Thank you for the tips appreciate that very much

1 - 9 of 9 Posts