Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New ZX-10R owner here. Bought an 06 w/ 15k mi. On the clock. Has Akrapovic exhaust, PC (I'll have to check the version), tuned. Double bubble smoked windscreen. Has a gearing change because I'm between 22% and 25% faster than actual speed. E.g. 45 indicated is 35; 60 indicated = 45; 80 indicated= 60. When I need sprockets and/or a chain, I'm going back stock until I can get a speedo healer. Then, I'll probably end up on a +1/+0 gearing change. Pics to come shortly!

Edit: forgot to mention; holy sweet baby Jesus, this thing is stupid fast. Coming from a 93 zx7.

IMG_20210419_122235.jpg

Reactions: 57x

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New pic added

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am interested in your thoughts on the jump from a 93 ZX7R to an 06 ZX10R. I also have a 93 ZX7, but it is a track only bike. It is a retired WSB and the motor was built by Zlock as an 836 big bore. It was a LOT of fun on the track, but froze on my last track day session. I don't have the time, space or frankly the ability to do the tear down and rebuild. Plus, I can't find a shop that will touch a rebuild that old.

So...I got to thinking that I might step up to a 10R. In fact, I found a 10RR that isn't too far away and is looking pretty sweet. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the jump in HP, tech and overall experience of moving up to the liter bike. I will probably only ride it on the track for the next year or so. I'll probably put the 7R on a shelf for a few years and attempt the rebuild when I retire from the military.

Love to hear your thoughts.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
@92Ninjas ... welcome to the ZX10 Fam... its a great bike

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am interested in your thoughts on the jump from a 93 ZX7R to an 06 ZX10R. I also have a 93 ZX7, but it is a track only bike. It is a retired WSB and the motor was built by Zlock as an 836 big bore. It was a LOT of fun on the track, but froze on my last track day session. I don't have the time, space or frankly the ability to do the tear down and rebuild. Plus, I can't find a shop that will touch a rebuild that old.

So...I got to thinking that I might step up to a 10R. In fact, I found a 10RR that isn't too far away and is looking pretty sweet. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the jump in HP, tech and overall experience of moving up to the liter bike. I will probably only ride it on the track for the next year or so. I'll probably put the 7R on a shelf for a few years and attempt the rebuild when I retire from the military.

Love to hear your thoughts.
Cheers
Idk how well of track setup your big bore 7 had. One of the 1st things I noticed was the increased throttle response. I can only assume this is due to the FI system. 2nd thing I noticed was my butt Dyno could definitely tell the 60+ hp and 40+ ft. Lbs of torque difference from the 93 zx7 stock motor. 3rd difference was how much lighter the 10r was.

Been riding it for couple of months now. I couldn't be happier with it. I'm 6' and it's got similar ergonomics to the 7. The tech on the 06 isn't a giant leap over the 7. It's still a very raw machine and I like it. Most of the tech implemented on my 10R is in the chassis, motor and suspension.

Personally, the 7 still has plenty of motor for me to use and I still enjoy riding the 7.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, good to know. I finally found someone to help me swap the Zlock engine for a stock one. I am dropping it off this weekend and will get it back in a couple weeks. I am going to track it in stock form and see what I think while I get the big bore sorted out. I am not exactly a master race rider, but I am sure I will notice some differences and I know a 10R would be a big difference. I will keep the 7R forever and continue to track it for sure. Depending on how that goes will determine if I step up to the 10R or 10RR. I am sure the HP, Torque and lightness will be very noticeable. I'm not in any rush, but I do think I would enjoy the reliability of a newer bike. I appreciate the information and feedback.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, good to know. I finally found someone to help me swap the Zlock engine for a stock one. I am dropping it off this weekend and will get it back in a couple weeks. I am going to track it in stock form and see what I think while I get the big bore sorted out. I am not exactly a master race rider, but I am sure I will notice some differences and I know a 10R would be a big difference. I will keep the 7R forever and continue to track it for sure. Depending on how that goes will determine if I step up to the 10R or 10RR. I am sure the HP, Torque and lightness will be very noticeable. I'm not in any rush, but I do think I would enjoy the reliability of a newer bike. I appreciate the information and feedback.
The only thing that would be noticable on your stock engine is the more narrow torque curve it has as opposed to the big bore.

I'm interested in knowing what caused the zlock engine to fail. I have email communication from zlock racing and they're very adamant that their engines are just as reliable as a stocker. To a certain point, I can understand that.

The 04-06 zx-10r engines had the valve spring retainer fail. They were made thinner than the 07+ newer engines. They failed at various mileage and various engine rpm. Anything from light commuting to WOT. If you're looking at those model year bikes, ask if the valve spring retainers were upgraded.

Reactions: slim1100

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Nice pick up! I've only heard about 2 issues with these bikes:
1) water pump will leak due to seals but you'll have plenty of warning with minor drops

2) something about the valve retainers on either the exhaust or intake side. Not on issue if you don't spend a lot of time on the top end but simple fix is just to use the next generation's valve retainers

I bought my Gen 2 with only a Yoshi TRC slip on in '15 and haven't thought about changing up yet. It started as a daily ride but been a garage queen since '18. I've done bolt ons (Rear sets, ss lines, HP stickers lol), bmc street filter, front/rear springs because I like a stiffer ride and hated the front end dive when braking. And just Friday I bought a used ECU locally off eBay and sending it off for a flash mainly because of the secondary throttle bodies - I hate how it falls on it's face coming out of slow turns (street riding) but it's a non issue on the track (I tracked it twice in '16/'17). I didn't need a servo buddy until 3 or 4 years later for some odd reason after the dash reset when starting one day.

What surprised me the most is that it ate Pirelli Angels TWICE as fast as my ZX12 probably due to the power/weight ratio. Same neighborhood as 12R with HP but not nearly as much torque.

It needed new plugs right away and man was that a headache! I managed to do it without pulling the radiator per the manual. Yeah, you read that right lol.

Oh! And I have to burp it doing an oil change for the light to go out. I didn't have to this last change for the first time ever but I didn't have the filter tight on purpose when I started it then tightened it once the light went out. If I have the same luck next change then that's officially my new method. Just but rags on the headers when pulling the filter cause it's a mess every time.

That turned into a much longer response than I thought it would. Enjoy the bike!

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for all the info on the ZX10R's. Very helpful and very interesting. I am not sure which way I will go, but it is good to have your insight.

I'm interested in knowing what caused the zlock engine to fail. I have email communication from zlock racing and they're very adamant that their engines are just as reliable as a stocker. To a certain point, I can understand that.
I finally got someone who knows what they hell they are doing to look at the Zlock engine. I don't have the full breakdown yet, but there is some good news. It seems it may have hydrolocked for some reason. I should know more tomorrow, but I got my fingers crossed that it isn't as bad as I initially thought it was.

·
6,877 Posts
If it hydrolocked, check those rods. If any rod is bent, check the crank. Frankly, I'd send the crank to Marine crank regardless.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, good news. I got a very capable mechanic to help me with the bike. We did a full service on the engine, and things were not as bad as I thought. I think I had some fuel blow by and essentially mix with the oil, causing it to be too full. I say, "I think", because once we drained and replaced the oil it turned over fine. We also checked the valves, clutch and such. After all that, it turned over freely and with the bump starter fired off without a hitch. Thanks to 57x and 92Ninjas for the help and info. If it didn't crank and fire so smoothly, I was going to have the engine tore down and would have checked for bent rods and such. It's a risk, but I am going to run it and see how it goes. Maybe I am just rolling the old bones and the engine, but my time is limited and there is a track day at NCBIKE this weekend. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
So what do you think so far?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what do you think so far?
It's faster and lighter. The ergonomics are a little more aggressive than the 7.

Reactions: D-CON

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for the delayed replies. Quick update on the Zlock ZX-7R. The bike ran top notch. Awesome power, smooth and went well. I think it was hydrolocked when I left power on the bike and the fuel pump kept pumping. Luckily, I didn't bend anything and it seems to be running great. I signed up for two days at NCBIKE last weekend. Saturday, I went "easy" because it had been awhile since I had been on a bike, let alone on the track. Great day, no issues. Sunday was going equally well for the first half. Unfortunately, I was getting a little over confident and ended up in the grass and going down. Bike is a little banged up and I injured my shoulder pretty good. Bike will be fixed with minimal issues. I will need a couple months to heal. A bit of a bummer, but all things considered, it could have been worse. Good news is that the bike runs great. Some fiberglass and paint on fairings, a couple brackets for the fairings and exhaust, and it should be back in commission.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts