Sports equipment Fender Road surface Metal Fashion accessory

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wheel Bicycle part

Vertebrate Fender Grass Personal protective equipment Terrestrial animal

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

Glove Bicycle part Fender Bumper Personal protective equipment

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank

Aircraft Engineering Gas Motor vehicle Machine

Good evening fellow riders .. I am finally back to motorcycles... My first motorcycle was a 1999 Suzuki Katana 600, my second motorcycle was a Yamaha FZ6. I sold them both years ago due to financial issues.. A handful of years later I got a good job and got my shit together, time for another bike. Well... I acquired a 1995 Kawasaki ZX7R. One if the guys in my car group said "Free to a good home, ZX7R if anyone wants it.." I said sure I will take it.. Clean title and has all the parts and pieces .. Now he told me I could have it under one condition, that I breath new life into it, if I wasn't going to put it back together give it back.. So.. I got a free bike.. This was now of the most amazing sport bikes of the early 90s.. And I have always wanted one..I had no idea there was such a following for these mystal unicorns.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,416 Posts
View attachment 21761
View attachment 21756
View attachment 21760
View attachment 21755
View attachment 21759
View attachment 21762
View attachment 21757

View attachment 21758

Good evening fellow riders .. I am finally back to motorcycles... My first motorcycle was a 1999 Suzuki Katana 600, my second motorcycle was a Yamaha FZ6. I sold them both years ago due to financial issues.. A handful of years later I got a good job and got my shit together, time for another bike. Well... I acquired a 1995 Kawasaki ZX7R. One if the guys in my car group said "Free to a good home, ZX7R if anyone wants it.." I said sure I will take it.. Clean title and has all the parts and pieces .. Now he told me I could have it under one condition, that I breath new life into it, if I wasn't going to put it back together give it back.. So.. I got a free bike.. This was now of the most amazing sport bikes of the early 90s.. And I have always wanted one..I had no idea there was such a following for these mystal unicorns.
Welcome to the forums! You have an interesting project on your hands. From what I can tell in the pictures, you have a 93-95 L model zx7 with a 94-97 zx9 B model front facia and side fairing. The motor has writing on it indicating it's a 95 zx9 B model motor. Stuffing the B model motor into the 91-95 zx7 was a common mod. The motor might have to be lowered to place the harness in its proper spot on the RH side of the engine.

I don't know enough about the zx9 B model motor to tell you that it is one just by the looks of it. My concern would be with the ram air plumbing from the LH side of the frame to the front facia. Doesn't look compatible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums! You have an interesting project on your hands. From what I can tell in the pictures, you have a 93-95 L model zx7 with a 94-97 zx9 B model front facia and side fairing. The motor has writing on it indicating it's a 95 zx9 B model motor. Stuffing the B model motor into the 91-95 zx7 was a common mod. The motor might have to be lowered to place the harness in its proper spot on the RH side of the engine.

I don't know enough about the zx9 B model motor to tell you that it is one just by the looks of it. My concern would be with the ram air plumbing from the LH side of the frame to the front facia. Doesn't look compatible.
Oh lord... Wait really ?!? I thought this was a ZX7R. I was told it was a 7R... I maybe I have made a mistake ... The previous owner was going to make it a track bike.. Soo it sat around for a bit .. Had too much money invested elsewhere.. And never got around to finishing the bike ... Soo your telling me I basically have a Zx9R motor stuffed into a 7R frame .. That sounds scary !!!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Oh lord... Wait really ?!? I thought this was a ZX7R. I was told it was a 7R... I maybe I have made a mistake ... The previous owner was going to make it a track bike.. Soo it sat around for a bit .. Had too much money invested elsewhere.. And never got around to finishing the bike ... Soo your telling me I basically have a Zx9R motor stuffed into a 7R frame .. That sounds scary !!!
About 130 RWHP. Nothing to be scared about. Only about 20 RWHP more than the 7 motor.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I thought to myself there must me a reason why he gave me the ZX9R fairings and not the ZX7R ones .. He told me they will fit.. Soo I am hoping they do.. I can't wait to get her running and sorted out.
If it is a 9r motor, keep the oil level in the oil sight glass full. Not half. Not 3/4. Full. Otherwise, you risk spinning #3 bearing. The oil pump in the 9r motor is too good. Starves the bottom end of oil.

Edit: Also, don't rev it past 12k RPM. Or else, engine go kaboom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts