Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm new here. I just picked up a 94 ZX7R. She sat for a while, so now she's my project bike. Any tips?
I know the frame and swing arm are solid. The forks are straight. Compression tested okay. Waiting on a new tank to get her running. I've replaced the fuel pump and lines. Cleaned the carbs and replaces all the vac lines and spark plugs. Flushed the brakes and clutch. Has new water pump and hoses. Re-wired the harness. Waiting on the tank, air filter, new signals and mirrors. I'm hoping to have her road ready by next weekend, if the engine and trans are solid. I think she has a full D&D system. I know it's aftermarket, but can't tell what brand. 4-2-1 header and D&Dish looking can.
I'm in the process of de-surface rusting her and polishing the frame, swing arm, forks, wheels and rear sets. Striping the flat black paint (prior owner) off the exhaust, prolly polish that too. She ain't gonna be pretty if the engine runs, as I plan on finishing the riding season on her (my last bike totaled out when I got rear ended last week).
Can't wait to get back out on the street, at least working on the project has kept me busy enuff not to go stir crazy. I'll get picks up when she's a bit more complete. Looking forward to this whole ZX experience.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
hmmmm tips....

how bout some pics?

:thumbup

welcome!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And before I get flamed too bad, I just saw a post clarifying the difference between a 7 and 7r.

I HAVE A 94 ZX7... dernit.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Pictures are good at any point in the project. Now would be "any point in the project"......

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
And before I get flamed too bad, I just saw a post clarifying the difference between a 7 and 7r.

I HAVE A 94 ZX7... dernit.
The 7R's are very hard to come by.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Since you have the bike apart, I'd say go ahead and wrap your fuel lines in heat tape to keep from it vapor locking. Other than that(which is all I can think of at the moment), good luck with the new bike and welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get it, I get it.. I'll snap some pics tomorrow. By then I'll have the aftermarket fuel pump bracket made and all the hoses and wires run. Still waiting for signals and fender delete, oh yeah and TANK.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
I get it, I get it.. I'll snap some pics tomorrow. By then I'll have the aftermarket fuel pump bracket made and all the hoses and wires run. Still waiting for signals and fender delete, oh yeah and TANK.
What color is your bike? Do you already have a tank on order?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to the prior owner, the bike is flat black. the lower fairings were trash, so deleting them for now (hence polishing every bit of aluminum on the bike to make up for that). I should have the tank tuesday, it's in the mail (not really, UPS). The tank is a metallic grey (she ain't gonna win any prom queen honors). Once winter hits, I'm gonna do her proud. I figured kawi green, metallic grey and some black and white. not sure yet tho. I'm not much for restorations (I appreciate them, but not my style), so gonna go a bit wild with the body and paint.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And some back ground on me. I used to be a mechanic/body man/painter. This is my first sport bike... ever... I've been riding cruisers and dirt bikes for way too long. My cruiser was the bike that totaled just over a week ago. My old dirt bike was the trade for this new project. I can take anything apart and put it back together, but I know very little about this new fangled crotch rockets. I'm just an old timer who loves to ride...... anything with 2 wheels and an engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the 94 paint scheme is actually my favorite...... it's your bike though......since it's already a project make it what you want, and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

in the tear down stage

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Striped down

Right rearset, cleaned, painted and polished

Left rearset same as above

Under tank, waiting on fuel lines and such

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol thanks twin. the paint sucks, prior owner flat black rattle can'd it. still waiting on parts, so in the mean time, gonna polish all the aluminum to distract the eyes from the back yard paint job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts