Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

New to the Cycle World

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  xbikeracer 
#1 ·
I'm an uber-noob... I just bought a 2000 ZX-6R, (See Avatar,) I haven't ridden ever, and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice... I plan on riding around the neighborhood, and in a parking lot behind my house before i hit the road. Anything else you guys can suggest?

Also, the bike didn't come with any manuals. By chance does anyone have the PDF versions handy?

G
#2 ·
My personal advice would be find a cycling course near you and even if it cost's some money it'll be less expencive in the long run, and the experience and info it'll give will be invaluable!

Aside from that I did the parking lot thing to when I got my bike and it was a great way to get to know your bike, try to find some good and responsible friends to ride with as well that will help you develop not push you over the edge.

And in probably the best word's I've ever heard on this forum. "With a motorcycle you've been handed two bags, one empty called experience, the other full called luck - the key is now to fill the one called experience before your luck runs out!" (whoever said that I thought it was phenomenal sorry I do'nt remember who you are! PM me and I'll fix this post!)

Aside from that welcome to the wonderful, fun, controversial, and ultimately rewarding brotherhood!

#3 ·
Ride like every cage (car,truck, suv) out there don't see you, leave yourself plenty of room around yourself and most of all watch for people turning left in front of you. I would agree with drewfue that a safety rider course is worth more than you will ever know. It sounds scary but with time you will find it is the greatest feeling in the world to ride.
RIDE SAFE

#4 ·
Congrats on your first bike. Good choice too! Not too big, too dangerous. Ditto what everyone else has said: Ride defensively - like everyone on the road is trying to kill you. Ride like you're invisible to them - because you are. Sign up for a local safety course, then take an advanced safety course if possible. I'd also like to recommend reading Total Control written by Lee Parks. I've read his book twice and have signed up for his Advanced Riding Clinic this summer. I've been riding for 34 years and still learning. Last summer I enrolled in 2Fast Riding Performance School and will never ride the same again. I learned way more than can be explained here. Education is probably the number one biggest thing you can do. Best of Luck and Congrats!

#6 ·
Congratulations on your new bike, excellent choice.

Go to www.msf-usa.org and find the nearest Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course near you, and take the beginner course ASAP.

Read your owners manual a few times to get familiar with your bike, what your maintenance schedule is on what specific items, for your specific bike. If your bike didn't come with an owners manual, then go to the dealership and order it ASAP.

Have fun riding, get your motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license and insurance on your new baby ASAP too.

Pay attention while riding always. After you've done these things, then, go put couple thousand miles on your bike - get some experience!

Welcome to the family of motorcyclists, sportbike riders. Set a good example in public for the rest of us.

Have fun, do well, and LET'S RIDE!

#8 · (Edited)
New as well

Hey everyone I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been riding off-road for several years and am planning on buying an 07 zx 6 when my local dealer gets them in. It sounds like you all know what you are talking about and can be a valuable source of information. So far the advice seems really reasonable and given from personal experience. I guess one question I have is what is some equipment you should invest in with a first street bike? besides the obvious helmet.. thanks again!

#9 ·
this only has worked for me, but when i started riding i made myself think that i already knew what i was doin and that it wasn't hard. if all else fails pull the clutch in and apply the breaks slow, or if your really jamed bail. better your bike getting messed up then you!!!!!you'll get it not hard good luck

#10 ·
Well as for riding gear, I've gotten alot of good advise from people. Helmet, jacket and gloves for sure. I've also heard some good stuff about the Icon jeans that have built in padding. I guess it just depends upon how hard you want to ride. I don't plan on wearing all that gear just tooling around town. But, I've got some sick canyons to carve out here in Utah. So that, I will have to gear up for.

#17 ·
It is up to you on how much and what type of equipment to wear, “and here is the but” but the first time you are laid up with a nasty patch of rode rash or worst you will be having second thoughts about what to wear. I see guys/ gals riding with shorts, tank tops and flip flops with no helmet. It make me hurt to think what might happen. I say all this from experience “600 Hurricane, parking lot, nasty patch of shin missing on my butt cheek and right shoulder.” That was enough to teach me about asphalt vs. shin. Road wins.
Ride Safe

#19 ·
Thanks All, the Info was helpful, and I'm definetly going to enroll in the MSF course down here...
BTW, If any of you guys are around the St. Louis area hit me up and we might go for a ride...

#20 · (Edited)
if this is your first bike go to the MSF coarse you will learn alot. even riding dirt bikes since i was 13 i learned things. as for equipment pay for what you think your body is worth, dont buy a cheap helmet if you can afford the expensive one, when i ride on the rode i wear a 2 piece suit with alpinestar boots gloves and my soumy helmet, and i wear my back protector too. if every one around you thinks you look funny oh well at least your safe when you do come off and it will happen. i had a car rear end me here in the UK at 40mph when i was at a stand still i was lucky that i had all my stuff on or i think i would have been in alot more pain then just the minor achs i had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.