Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,i'm a new rider and a bit scared to lean the bike on turns bec i feel like im gonna tip over. any advice would be greatly appreciated and please dont be mean,thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This feeling typically is because you are going too slow. Find yourself an empty parking lot, and get used to the bike, and you'll drop this feeling very quickly. Make sure it is a clean lot, not with too much gravel or grass coming through the pavement in cracks, ect. Start slow and work yourself up gradually with some speed... look through the turn to where you want to end up. Don't try to grab either brake, slowing before the turn, and accelerating near apex and out. If you simply coast or abruptly let off the gas through corners, you'll get the feeling you have now, so a steady throttle hand is what you are after.

Its a trust thing too. If your bike has decent rubber, you'll have to trust it to stay under you. It will.

If you have not taken a msf beginner course, that is a confidence builder too.

Just my $.02 on the subject.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
+1 on the msf course. i did it after riding a couple times and it made a world of difference.

besides that, always gear up. you'll feel more confident on it all around that way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i took the msf course. i think its the transition from a light small 250 cruiser to a tall heavier sport bike that gets me. im scared to drop my bike,im tippy toeing which makes it a lot harder(we all love our bike,right?) thanks for the tips and yes i will find an empty lot and practice. i hope i dont drop her. what is an apex? i hear it a lot at the msf course but never really understood what it is

·
Registered
888 Posts
probably not a good idea to ride if you feel scared.

nervous i understand, scared is bad.

being scared makes you hesitate on mostly anything and everything which can cause a wreck. take the MSF again until you no longer feel scared.

AND....

what is an apex? i hear it a lot at the msf course but never really understood what it is
Definately take the MSF course one more time - i think its discouted for re-take/refreshment course - but do it right next time by absorbing all the knowledge you can get, get comfortable and ASK QUESTIONS on things you do not understand.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ASK QUESTIONS on things you do not understand.
Best advice ever on the subject of MSF. I will tell you that I have yet to run into anyone on the road that was in my MSF class, so even if you feel you may sound dumb to others in the class, you'll probably never see them again. Also it is for YOUR safety, so f'em.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re-take the msf course. Practice in an empty parking lot & saddle time. The more you ride the more confident you will become in your abilities. Get on the forum & ask questions, lots of experienced people here more than willing to help. You'll be having fun in no time!

·
Registered
428 Posts
try to keep your head as low as possible and move it towards the inside mirror(if you're turning left, towards the left mirror). You won't feel like you are tipping over as much. And keep your arms relaxed with your elbows bent, the more tense and rigid your arms are, the more you'll feel every little bump.

I always like to think of myself as becoming a part of the suspension when I get on the bike.

·
Registered
888 Posts
try to keep your head as low as possible and move it towards the inside mirror(if you're turning left, towards the left mirror). You won't feel like you are tipping over as much. And keep your arms relaxed with your elbows bent, the more tense and rigid your arms are, the more you'll feel every little bump.

I always like to think of myself as becoming a part of the suspension when I get on the bike.

he's new to riding.. if he follows the posted speed limit - racing position is not required.

stay at the most upright and comfortable position while riding is what you want to say. and losen up the grip, elbow and shoulders and well as your leg firmly planted on the tank.

he would look dumb! and i would seriously laugh at anyone making a slow turn from a signal light in race position.

·
Registered
24 Posts
he's new to riding.. if he follows the posted speed limit - racing position is not required.

stay at the most upright and comfortable position while riding is what you want to say. and losen up the grip, elbow and shoulders and well as your leg firmly planted on the tank.

he would look dumb! and i would seriously laugh at anyone making a slow turn from a signal light in race position.
Or a guy in a full tuck at 30mph!:mfclap

Cive - Thanks for the vid, I forward to a friend that is having some trouble understanding what I'm telling him so I hope seeing it will help him out a bit.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
that video was very helpful watched it when i first started riding

·
Registered
27 Posts
you will realize that the only time you will be in danger of wrecking is when you are taking a turn and too nervous to lean

practice in a parking lot that is empty....it takes time to build confidence. You will notice that if you push the handle bar slightly the opposite direction of the turn it will help considerably....if you are doing a sharper left turn, apply some pressure with your left hand towards the right direction and vice versa

it's a very natural process once you get the hang and feel of it.....many many youtube videos for beginners

just always remember one thing....you'll be AMAZED at what your bike is capable of. With good tires you can lean the living hell out of it. Just master the feeling and dont be scared to go low :)

i know this doesnt help much, but just give it time. Motorcycle training/racing schools for beginners through professional -- will be of great use as well if youre willing to pay a lil bit of $$.

·
Registered
169 Posts
+1 on the video! That was an excellent video, I have quite a few of those techniques down as I learned from some decent riders, but there were some on there that I know I need to work on! To the OP I would say continue to follow the advice of proven riders, not just anyone, and MSF courses and also dont be afraid to sit back and watch different riders and see what works most.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Engine rev

:thefingerSomething I learned a long time ago to avoid being a footdragger. Your engine when internally spinning wants to keep your bike upright. The faster the spin, the more the bike stands. Keep your |RPMS up into corners and accelerate out of them. At slow speed cornering (very slow), pull your clutch and rev your engine a bit. Keeps you from tipping. Eventually when you get good at this you will be able to stop at stop signs and not have to even put your feet down. Ride more, you will get more comfortable.:clap

1 - 20 of 20 Posts