Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys/gals, I just picked up my first sport bike, the '07 ZX-14 and I love it. I traded in my '06 Suzuki M109R for this baby. I still have my '06 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic for touring with the old lady. I recently just sold my first bike, an '01 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic.

Coming from cruisers and sport-cruisers I am definately new to the arena of powerful sport bikes in this category. I am definately taking it easy and breaking her in right (she wants to run, but I won't let her!). And I can feel under the tank the raw power that I have never experienced, even in my M109 (a damn big sport cruiser with lots of torque and power).

My question is about gear. I want to be properly protected. Obviously, I wear a full face Shoei (even on my Harley and I get looks, but my head is more important than my ego). But my jacket is just "okay" (armored shoulders, elbows, and soft back plate) and I have no pants to speak of and my cruiser boots are just too darn thick to fit right on the Ninja (me being kind of a big guy 6'3", 275 lbs, 13 shoe). And I want to acquire really good stuff.

So do you guys recommend a one-piece? I don't "go to the track", but I like long rides that sometimes include into the mountains. Or should I stick with a leather pant and jacket? And boots?

Any recommendations for brand? Cost? Some insight? I know it's personal to each rider, but a little research up front, I figure can't hurt.

Appreciate the advice up front and keep the shiney side up!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey there.. new rider here...I have Icon SUPER DUTY 2 BOOTs, Icon Recon Pants, ICON MOTORHEAD JACKET. The boots work awesome. Not to big, not to small. Just the right size...
The Pants are the most confortable but they dont offer any protection. The Jacket is great, leather, fits great, looks great. I dont do knee dragin turns and have used this gear for long rides (100 mile trips , wow)..if that a long ride...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You're right about personal opinion wrt equipment, and it's what you feel comfortable with. IMPO...

I know where you are coming from. I'm 6'6" and 235lbs, and had an issue getting gear that fit properly. So I used to ride in jacket, boots, helmet and jeans. I couldn't get over the idea of not being protected.

I then went to Sidi B-2 boots, and a 2 piece Joe Rocket suit. I have Rhyno carbon fibre gloves and an HJC helmet.

I went with the 2 piece suit for a couple reasons:

1) Storage space - 1 piece suits don't generally have pockets on the outside, and you'll find that you'll hate that.
2) Occassionally I like to go for a short ride in town, and like to throw on boots and jacket, and not suit up completely. (Yes I have another jacket, but again, it depends on what I want to wear)

As far as boots... I can't ride in anything but my Sidi's now (or race boots in general) as nothing feels as comfortable.

With full suit, gloves, and boots... you feel more comfortable, and can stop worrying about "what if" and just enjoy the ride.

I know a guy that has a ZX14, and he rides in virtually the same gear. Looks and functionality, with safety... how can it be wrong.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
find a custom job and you cant go wrong

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
find a custom job and you cant go wrong
Well, I started doing some research and custom sure looks nice but the price is WAY up there. Like $2k+ (i.e. Vanson Leathers). And, I am leaning towards a two-piece suit for multiple reasons.

Right now, I'm thinking about the following three suits ATM (each hyperlinked).

AGV Sport Mirage 2pc; or
AlpineStars Stage 2 pc; or
Joe Rocket GPX Type R 2 pc.

Each in the solid black model (like my bike, and helmet). I'm leaning towards the AlpineStars because it's perforated and I live in Las Vegas. Anyone have any thoughts on brand? Durability? Safety? Personal Experience with any of the above? Thanks.

PS

Picked up some boots today (also hyperlinked -> Setup Vision. Seem like a nice balance of price, comfort and protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts