Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I purchased my zx11 a year ago and have allready put 7k miles on it I love this bike, thought I would check your forum out here for any tips on maintaining her etc. Ive allready got a issue with it , I bought her with 3rd slipping when you first shift into it, after about 3k miles the 3rd started slipping thewhole time and now 4th is starting off like 3rd was doing at first ugh lol...was no problem i was just skiping 3rd but now 4th ...I know would have to split case to fix trans...has anyone done this? If so how hard of a job is it to do yourself....mind you iam good with a wrench lol...any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When you say "Slipping" Do you mean like slipping or jumping out of gear? I was under the impression that gears don't slip. A clutch does. And then it would more likely do it when you're applying throttle especially in lower gears. where the clutch is theoretically working harder against the weight of the bike and rider against the ground. something to do with the synchros? Typically that would be tough shifting.

Quite possibly the gears are on shafts instead of being machined out of one piece, Then they would be able to actually slip. Sorry to be a pain but I'm curious as well. E.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If it's a gear selection problem rather than clutch slip, check out the gear selector/lever & linkage. Make sure the end of the linkage is tight onto the splined gear selector shaft & that the gear lever is greased properly at the footrest pivot. If any of that is neglected it will give gearchange problems. Also if that has been neglected by the previous owner all the other controls could probably do with lubing.

Clutch slip would normally be apparent as you put more power on in higher gears unless the clutch release mechanism is sticking but if it was sticking it would probably happen in all gears.

HTH

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea the bike is jumping out of gear not slipping out sorry about that..It would jump out for a second under power then would be ok..but like I said in other post now that gear just doesnt work i mean it will shift into itbut if you give it throttle it will just grind like gears not meshing down there....at first i wanted to think it was shift forks being bent but i dont think so now...shrug
and allso shortcircuit have lubed all that stuff allso..to no avail....:banghead

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sounds like its time to split the cases and get that tranny out. I haven't had my ninja case apart, but I did do an old KZ. It wasn't too tough. Of course you can't actually fix it yourself. You have to split the cases, remove the trans and send it to a place like MRE. They will recut the drive dogs, check the drum, forks, and shafts. They will return it to you ready to reinstall.
On a slightly different subject, I heard that the newest ZX 6's are coming with a trans that is stacked vertically rather than horizontally and the components will all slight out the side of the case without having to split it. I'm not sure if that is true, but it sure would be a nice feature.
T

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like your dogs are rounded on your gears..if you want to see what it looks like...check out lotsokids photos..in engine dying post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Guys,,,I just finised with my 99 ZX11....Fired up and setting the carbs now.....Per a few around the block test runs...3rd gear is jumping out..all other gears seem good....any clues other than Clmer saying it could be gear slector shaft.....

·
Premium Member
13,241 Posts
For some reason, a lot of 11s seem to be have tranny issues, especially 3rd gear. Only solution is to pull the motor, split the case and inspect. It ain't gonna cure itself.

·
Premium Member
13,241 Posts
Sorry, bro. If it helps, I'll run down to the Temple of the Great Googly-Moogly and light a candle for your 2nd gear.:rolleyes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts