Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had this issue before. I have about 400 miles on my tires, and went to pull it out of the drive garage, and BAM - FLAT TIRE! Sure enough there is a Nail inthe tire, right in the middle of the tread. I guess my question is, is it ok to Patch tires on these bikes?

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
You will get a different opinion for everyone that replies.

I have some buddies that will patch a tire twice and don't think twice about it. And then on the other hand people will tell you that they would never patch a tire so go buy a new one.

I say depending on your financial situation make your decision because it could be fine, or it could not be.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess if anyone has experienced or heard of someone having experience with Patched/Plugged repairs?

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
You will get a different opinion for everyone that replies.
+1

Last year my 7 was due for new tires front and rear,and before getting new tires i went out for a ride i got a nail in my rear tire,plugged it and drove on it for 2 days before getting 2 new tires put on,no issues at all,but,the plug not holding up was constantly in the back of my head.

If you gotta plug it to get somewhere with the bike,sure,but as to plug it and call it a new tire? No
Plug it for now,and get a new tire right away.
My 2 cents

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If you are the average street rider/commuter, a tire patch on the inside of the tire in the middle area of tread is safe enough. If the damage is in the sidewall, a plug or patch will not hold.

if you ride hard in the twisties or at very high speeds,(over 150 mph), occasionally on the street, buy some new tires and the new tire warranty. Personally, I wouldn't run lower pressures on a patched tire either. I'd run the max of about 36/42. i always replace the set of tires when the rear tread is worn to the wear bar. Every time i have tried to squeeze some more mileage out of the rear I have gotten a flat. After the 3rd time, I learned my lesson.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dunlop Q2's

·
Registered
888 Posts
First rule to riding a bike is to be confident as soon as you get on it.

If you do not feel confident about having a patched tire, then its not smart to get on it.
If you want opinion then dont ride with patched tire. Tire blowout on 2 wheels is bad news, i personally have never experienced it and i pray to the cycle gods to watch out for me. its happened to many riders and they were able to keep 2 wheels down but at the same time its caused fatalities.

The thread should be how painful is a crash in case the patch on my tires fails.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I run a tire\repair shop and you can patch the tire and never have to worry about it if you do it right. A tire repair must be done correctly or it will fail. You need to use a tire patch that has a solid center core. A patch-plug otherwise know as a tree patch.
http://www.wdshopsupply.com/WD SHOP SUPPLY IMAGES/Tire Stuff/WW9_lg.jpg
What he said. There was a big debate over this on the 500 forum, and many people who have been riding for a LONG time, and do trackdays or even amateur racing have said that they would feel comfortable RACING on a properly done plug-patch type repair. (As said above, only in certain areas of the tread of course)

Still others have stated that they have put tens of thousands of miles on such a repair with not even a leak.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
Ha I had the same thing happen. I was cheap and just plugged it. Lasted till about another 2k then lost the rear tire with a passenger on board. Not recommended.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Ha I had the same thing happen. I was cheap and just plugged it. Lasted till about another 2k then lost the rear tire with a passenger on board. Not recommended.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
tsk tsk tsk... dem fake pics. Sparks are going the wrong way.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Go learn how to change some clutch plates would ya:evil

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Get right on that.

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
I got a nail in a rear tire with less than 700 miles on it during a trip to New Mexico and Colorado. Put it plug in it and ran it for thousands of miles, some at high speeds and used it until it was worn out. Still holding air when I spooned it off in a motel parking lot in Arkansas. I don't think I would have risked it with a front. Your experience may differ.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI, I decided to play it safe, my thought process was if I have to ask if its ok to use a patched tire, I probably shouldnt do it. Thanks again for the input, just installed New Pirelli Angel EMS Sport Touring Tires front and rear this morning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is quite safe to plug the tyre, the closer to the centre the better really. it cheap and can be done by a garage whilst you wait. ive run my stunt bike with 3 plugs in it and they held fine. my mate is currently running with 2 in his rear tyre and rides like a lunatic and has no issues what so ever and he has done a fair few miles on them!

they are not however safe near the edge of the tyre and on the tyre wall and if this is the case and a garage suggests it then take a few paces back then take a run up and slap them in the face! :runaway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts