Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently picked up a 03 zx-6r and I love it. Im having a problem shifting though and Im not sure if its me or the bike. When I am accelerating in first and shift into second, sometimes it jumps to neutral. This is really annoying because I will have to pull over if I am going fast otherwise when I shift back down into 1st it goes in so hard I feel like I might damage something. Any ideas on whats going on? Sometimes its difficult to get it into neutral also, like at a stop light. Any info is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you have trouble shifting it into neutral at a shift light, sometimes I find it helpful to roll the bike a little bit. Somtimes you will hear a small clicking sound within the bike and then it pops right into neutral. I find this happens more on Ducati's then on Kawi's.

Regarding the general shifting problems you mentioned, the first thing I would do is drop your oil and change it out to some fresh stuff. Since it's an 03, I am assuming it is used so its probably a good idea to do that anyway if it hasnt been done.

Then I would check all of the external parts from the left-side rearset to the shifting connections within the case. Make sure everything is aligned up. The pivot joint closest to the case should have a mark that needs to be set centered. I suspect it is fine, but its something to look at.

Keep us posted on this...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good tip about rolling the bike to get into neutral, ill try it out tomorrow. as for the oil, i changed it right after i bought the bike, it did help make the shifting a little smoother, but thats about it. ill look at the things you mentioned in the morning, thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
990 Posts
As Beans said, also make sure the bolt that clamps the linkage onto the splined shaft is tight, part 13242.

Have a look on http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp? click on Motorcycle & select your model bike & look up the parts diagrams & find 'GEAR CHANGE MECHANISM'

Also make sure the chain slack is adjusted correctly & also the slack on the clutch cable is not too much.

·
Registered
196 Posts
one problem may be that you aren't making the full shift motion. if you only go half way it won't be in gear yet when you let out the clutch.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
also try preloading the shift before pulling the clutch...... this may help
cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im starting to think that it was my error. i dont think that i was making the full motion up with my foot. it hasnt done it since i have been really paying attention to making the full motion. thanks again guys!

·
Registered
990 Posts
What footwear are you wearing?
Proper motorcycle boots help a lot for shifting especially on the upshift.
Also check gearlever is adjusted to suit your foot position on the peg for shifting, the tie rod #39111 is adjustable.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
good point ... runners are not good for the up shift

1 - 10 of 10 Posts