Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I took the MSF course and got my license. I can’t wait to start riding :thumbup but I might have to wait until next year.

I just bought an 02 zx-6r from my friend’s dad. He got it from a trade and didn’t ride it much probably sat for a few months. It has 18k miles needs some work but starts very easy. Let me explain the what happens. I set the choke and start it, the rpm bounces around and it runs rough. It heats up well but when I take off the choke it idles low for a few seconds then dies.

From what I see the bike is stock except for the a yoshimura exhaust. If I get a chance I’m going to try to take the tank off tomorrow to check the fuel line and filter. I’m also not sure about previous maintenance I’ll be getting all the basics done soon.

Thanks in advance.

G

·
First of welcome to the ZX forums!
You havent given too much information but this could be something as simple as turning the idle up. It runs with the choke on because the choke basicly makes the RPMs higher, when you shut the choke off its probably not getting enuff RPM's to continue running. Just try turning the idle up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah like Shifty said it could be a very simple fix. turn the idle up and see if that helps. the idle screw is right buy your left knee.

·
Registered
494 Posts
First of welcome to the ZX forums!
You havent given too much information but this could be something as simple as turning the idle up. It runs with the choke on because the choke basicly makes the RPMs higher, when you shut the choke off its probably not getting enuff RPM's to continue running. Just try turning the idle up.
:banghead :banghead Ignore the above.

The "choke" (the ninja actually has an enrichener, but it's called a choke for simplicity) adds extra fuel to the mix to improve combustion while the engine is cold. The fact that it'll run on the choke but not off of it is indicative of a couple of things. Most likely your idle jet is clogged. BUT

Here's what I'd do:

1) Drain the gas tank and the float bowls put fresh clean gas in there.
2) Change the spark plugs.
3) Clean the air filter.
4) Check the fuel filter.
5) Check the fuel line for cracks or kinks

Try running the bike now.

More then likely your bike was incorrectly stored and unstabilized gas was left in the tank and in the carbs which caused varnish to build up inside the jets and carb passages.

Basically you're going to want to pull the carb bank and give them a good solid cleaning. Or have someone do it for you.

Then find out if the bike was rejetted for the yosh exhaust. A new exhaust will reduce back-pressure through the engine and this increases air flow. The fueling in the carbs is a preset amount and cannot self adjust in any way shape or form. More air, same amount of fuel. Bike will be running lean - tough to start and hotter then it should. You're running the risk of burning up a valve, or holing a piston.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts