Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like it's time for a new rear tire. I got the bike with a Dunlop Sportmax D208 on the rear, and a fairly new Metzeler Sportec M-1 on the front. I've read the posts, mostly recommending the Pilot Powers, Diablo Corsas, and Metzeler M3's. However, would it cause problems having one of these tires with the front one that I have now? I want excellent grip first off, and tread wear secondly. Don't really care about rain. Suggestions?

Thanks,

--Ryan

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
IMPO a matched set of tires will always be preferable to an unmatched set.

I've ridden on Bridgestone, Dunlops, and Michelin, and by far the Pilot's are the best that I have had.

But again, this comes down to riding style and personal opinion. Tires are like models, makes and colours. You have to find what works for you.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Matched is preferable but I was told it was not a problem having unmatched under normal riding. If you use ALL the performance it may cause handling problems, especially for track days & the like.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What i think about Dunlop vs. Michelin is that the dunlop is made flat vs the michelin is made in a triangle , so it takes more effort for the dunlop to lean. I think that the michelin wont go as far as the dunlop, but when you get to the point that the michelin cant go further you can feel it better than the dunlop because it slides just a bit and will grip right after. So if you keep it to it's limit you'll be fine vs. the dunlop when you lean it to it's limit it's going to slide like hell and it is harder to bring back. I prefer the shape of the michelin but i like how the dunlop can lean more ! Hard choice ... only way to find out is to try them both !!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still debating whether to just get a Metzeler M-1 to match the front, or go all out and get the Pilot Powers now. Has anybody ridden both of these tires? I'm planning one or 2 track days in Feb, would the M-1's be OK, or do I need to go for it and get a whole new set?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm still debating whether to just get a Metzeler M-1 to match the front, or go all out and get the Pilot Powers now. Has anybody ridden both of these tires? I'm planning one or 2 track days in Feb, would the M-1's be OK, or do I need to go for it and get a whole new set?
IMHO, I would get a complete set of tires, it's just what I'm used to, and most of the tire shops out here (Germany) reccommend it.

Not sure if there are any reports backing this up, but I'm sure if you search the internet you'll finding something on tread patterns and the way tires track.

In saying that, I sport Pierelli Diablos (170 frnt and 200 rear) and I have no complaints. However, my next set I will try the Pierelli Corsa. I hear the grip is outstanding on the street.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts