Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the site but am really liking it. Thought I would post my new project. I've had this bike for about 20 years. Been in storage for 8 years and under a carport for the last 3 years. Time to take it down to the frame and clean up everything. Will need new tires and paint job and a lot of TLC. Should take awhile but be fun. Here's some pics.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard that its better to keep everything stock on this bike by a number of people. They all said it was hard to keep tuned with alot of mods so thats what I've done. I did'nt know about the air horns. Still goes to show that your never to old to learn.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I too have had one sitting for about 20 years, but decided to snatch up one that was in good running condition but needed some tlc and a few nuts and bolts, using my old one as a donor. It should be ready to go for this upcoming spring. Not as nimble as today's bikes, but a great ride. I think the air horns referenced are the intake runners that suck in cool air from between the forks, that provide cold air intake and a ram air effect at the same time. The pods are more free-flowing, but aren't pressurized like the stock set up and draw in air heated from the motor. My new bike had the intake tubes cut off at the air box, so I ended up getting a replacement airbox assembly with good tubes. If you want to restore the factory decals and pin-stripes, you can find them all at RDdecals.com. The whole bike set is $199.95 plus shipping, or you can buy individual pairs/sets. Plan ahead, though, because they make them to order and it takes a few weeks for delivery.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that would make sense on the air horns, lol. I have'nt seen this bike around this area ever. It will take awhile to get done, thanks for the info. Trying to come up with a new color scheme while working on it.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also wondering how much to do on the engine. The bike has about 32K on it. I'm going to be checking clutch plates, valves, etc. Don't want to pull it all apart if I dont need to. The engine has been running fine before storage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Old gas is the problem with storage. And rust in the gas tank? Has to be spotless in there so your carb jets don't clog. Otherwise a pretty bulletproof engine. The only complaint i have is it's easy to leak oil at the front sprocket. I never mind giving it to my mechanic and saying fix everything. My last tuneup was about $800. New chain, 530 sprocket conversion. Fork seals. Fork boots. Back brakes. Can't remember what else but since I mainly commute with my motorcycles it's worth it. And I can live to ride another day. and that was only a yearly tuneup. I love the bike! Handles Smooth like driving on a cloud. Comfy. Can drive it 4 hours at a time. Sounds like a Ferrari. Will carve up canyons well. But I never push it. Don't trust the quality of public roads. As long as it gets driven weekly it's good to go. Ps. I hate chains. Never an issue with my shaft drive bikes. Even thought of a concours shaft drive in there. But it's fixed now.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brakes and chains I can do. Just wondering about maybe changing the piston rings. First time taking it down all the way to the frame. If you check the pics you will see I have some electrical connections to fix also.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My first 1000R had well over 20,000 miles before it threw the chain and destroyed the front sprocket cover and spewed oil everywhere. It still ran GREAT. But, 32,000 is starting to get up there. If it doesn't smoke and you have good compression, maybe just focus on the top end and clutch, especially since you are going to have it off the frame already. If you think you might want to replace the starter motor someday, now is the time, because you have to split the case, which I figure you will have already done to rework the clutch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think 32,000 is nothing. The same engine is used in the concours. Just different cams. And shaft drive...Those go routinely better then 100,000 miles. I'm wondering about a little water in the oil in mine. And the oil leak at the front sprocket I have. It gets driven most every week. Well on the next mechanic visit....he can fix that.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I almost have everything out of the frame. I will be taking off the oil pan and checking the clutch and valves for sure. May have to rebuild brake calibers (cheap fix) and turn the rotors. Cleaning everything and re-painting the frame black but still have'nt decided on color scheme yet. Thanks for all the advise so far.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this bike. I had an 87 1000R that was totaled this past July. It was a fun bike.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To PVC ZX11: Sorry to hear your 87 was totaled. Hope I will be able to ride this spring. Have the motor and wheels to remove from the frame yet. Did'nt get much done this weekend. Then it will be time for some heavy duty cleaning. and re-assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i too have a motorcycle that sat for about 6 yrs been along project but it was worth every penny im new to the site so i dont have pics right now will get some soon though as u prolly already know u will enjoy the ride from this bike good luck with it hope it turn out for ya

·
Registered
94 Posts
WOw. That engine hasn't seen a lot of use or weather has it? I love the way these things are built. Oil cooler and water cooler, awesome brakes and handling. Decent acceleration and fun handling. Comfy seat that I can sit on for 6 hours at a time. Cool luggage hooks that collapse. cutout handle for the center stand. What I like most is the Ferrari like engine sound. That usually drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really do love this bike. Fortunately so does my wife. It will take awhile considering I have no budget for it. It just has to be done. You are right, it will be worth it. Don't think I have to much to do to the engine. Alot of cleaning, lubing and some paint.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
You have your work cut out for you even if there are ZERO mechanical or electrical issues. Keep posting pics of your progress.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.