Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my impressions on the Concours14 ABS. I picked it up last Saturday and have just under 300 miles on it now. I had made some mentions in other threads, but it seemed like a good idea to consolidate evrything into one.

The seat seems to be pretty decent so far, and the riding position is about perfect. I definitely want the taller windshield when it comes out, the stocker is just a bit too short. Full down, it stops the wind at about mid chest, Full up, it moves it to mid helmet, but gets more noisy. Bear in mind, this is at pretty high speeds. The initial break in says to limit to 4000rpm - that's 85mph in 6th.

Handling is incredible! While it won't flick like a 600, it holds a line better than any bike I've ever ridden. Turning is almost telepathic - no physical action required. I've leaned it far enough to leave no chicken strips on the rear and it is absolutely easy. There also doesn't appear to be any detectable bump steer in corners. Damping and preload are moderately firm as delivered and there doesn't seem to be any reason to mess with it. The multi-link shaft contributes to the handling - this is the only shaftie I've ever ridden that behaves exactly like a chain. I predict that all the other makes will have a similar setup in the future. All other shafts have been rendered obsolete! The handling alone is enough reason to own this bike! Braking is spectacular with strong brakes on both ends and very little dive.

Engine heat gets the legs, but isn't a major issue. It isn't radiator heat - that is controlled well and exits ahead of the legs. What happens is that raw engine heat makes the fairing lowers heat up. It was bad at first, but the engine has started running cooler as the miles go on and the heat has gone down with it.

Power - more than enough. It doesn't have the bottom end snap that my ZRX1200 does - but then - nothing else does either! It does pull very strongly and I doubt there is much that will stay with it at any RPM. Power delivery is very linear which I'm sure can be attributed to the VVT - with a little help from lots of displacement as well. Basically, it's @#%& fast!

6th gear is an OD. At 4000, it runs right at 85. Pull isn't spectacular in 6th, but it was enough to smoke a guy driving a WRX-STI! I can't wait to be able to use more of the engines power. The gearbox and clutch are otherwise very nice. There is a bit of lash, but not unreasonable and good shifting is rewarded - but going through the gears under 4000 is a chore - hate the break in limits!

Gas mileage is averaging right at 36 - about like the ZRX. I expect this to improve as it gets more broken in. On the freeway at a steady 80 it reads at about 48. Not great, but again, it should improve.

Other Features:
- Love the KIPASS. I got used to keyless on the Mazda and it works great here too.
- Storage: Excellent bags and very covienient to used and remove. The glovebox on the other hand looks a bit cheap, is small, and doesn't lock - they could have done better here. No helmet lock! If I have the bags off there is no way to lock a helmet! I guess I'll have to get a cable to attach under the seat.

Overall so far - a spectacular bike. I can't wait for a reason to take a trip!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm up to 520 miles now, so the redline is up to 6000. My opinions are pretty much unchanged so far. The heat from the back of the engine has diminished and isn't too bad now. Still want the taller windshield, but the stocker is really pretty nice aound town. Glovebox is an afterthought - since it doesn't lock, it isn't particularly usefull. All in all, minor gripes! This is one phenominal bike to ride! The handling at all speeds is amazing!

I did make a couple of alterations. I added a Vista Cruise throttle friction device to free up the right hand occasionally. It isn't made for the Kaw and doesn't fit without mods, but is easier to use than a Throttlemeister. I made one fit on the ZRX and it's worked well for 5 years. The other thing was removing the ugly "bicycle" reflectors. I don't think this bike is that hard to se from the side, and it looks much better. The sadists at Kawasaki did make three of the four a pain to remove though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Please, all mistakes put also in thread "Colours and other problems...", "cause I have intention that all problems, production mistakes and gripes can be collected on one place...

Thanx!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
620 miles. Changed the oil and filter and Shaft oil. Very easy all the way around? Didn't have to remove anything to do it either.

Tried out the vista Cruise last night on a long highway ride and it works as expected. The 2 hours to get it on was worthwhile.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi buffgunner,

I am following this forum from time ago, reading lots of message about the new Connie or 1400 GTR here in Europe.

As one of the first user reviews on this bike, yours is very very valuable. Thank you very much for the detail and quality of your report.

I though your opinion was so interesting that I decided to translate all your comments to the spanish (and measures to IU system) and posted them in the biggest spanish BMW forum (bmwmotos.com). Here you are the thread link for your reference:

http://www.bmwmotos.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1185740118

We will be looking forward your new comments about!

Thanks again! :clap :clap :clap

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hydalgo, I should have some more to say next week on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts