Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased my 2nd ninja. Upgraded to this wonderful 636. Unfortunately, previous owner didn't take great care of it and Im having a few problems with the new bike. :bang head
1. Back breaks not working, first I replaced the jb welded (by previous owner) brake pedal, bleed the brakes well, worked okay for about a week then nothing. Bleed them a couple times more, same problem. Thinking about buying new lines. Saw another post on a similar problem but still not sure what to try next...
2. Riding down free way this morning front breaks completely stopped working, apparently they had been rubbing on front tire (no guard on front) and finally decided to blow... looking into steel braided brake lines- suggestions? or possibly the guard. or both. suggestions?
3. I had to lower the bike close to 3 in. and now whenever I corner hard the bottom fairing rubs on the ground... suggestions? A different style of fairing? any way to raise it away from the ground?
4. Also because of how much I lowered the bike I had to reattach the handle bars ON TOP of the forks, is this safe? Are there any other ways around this problem, HB's wouldn't fit on bottom after lowering.

I Love love LOVE this bike, wish previous owner (young 18 kid) took better care of it, but looking forward to putting some time and work into this bike to get it into tip top shape. I will gladly take any suggestions on pretty much anything concerning this bike, good places to get parts, ect.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As for the brakes it sounds like the back needs new lines and fluid. If you're gonna do it right up front then get the guard and the ss lines. Make sure the fluid is atleast dot 4 or 5. Don't want to skimp on that. Did you really have to lower the bike 3 inches or can you raise it some and tip toe. Or maybe you can thin the seat foam some to allow you to raise it. As for the bars I have no clue, maybe someone will chime in on that.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Welcome.

If I were you, the first the I would do is replace all my brake lines, fluid, and pads. Go with SS lines.

Does it absolutely have to be lowered so much? It's definitely too low if the fairings are scraping the ground around turns, so your gonna have to raise it up some. Maybe like oldhead said, try shaving the seat a bit if you have to. I'm not sure of any different style fairings that would prevent this from happening. It's okay if you stand on your tip toes, don't have to be flat footed.

I would also do a major once-over on the bike, especially since it came from a young kid who didn't take good care of it.

A good place for parts is motorcycle-superstore.com and sportbiketrackgear.com. Stay away from BikeBandit.com, I've had nothing but problems with them and wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Good luck with your new bike and getting it back into shape. Ride safe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got my clip ons on top of my triple and flipped, as long as they are on there and tight you should be fine

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ya'll for the advice. Def looking into front and back brake lines and a guard. Will try to shave some of the seat off to possibly bring it up a bit, but unfortunately Ive never had a problem with my shortness until I started riding motorcycles. Standing tall I barely hit 5 feet, Lowered 2 3/4in, I am tippy tippy toeing it already :-( Ive dropped the bike twice while trying to ride it lowered less than this because I could control the bike at low speeds because I could get good footing. Lowered where it is, in most places I cannot back the bike up if its up any kind of incline, which sucks and can be somewhat embarrassing. Ive looked into riding shoes to add some height but have yet to find any that don't look ridiculous...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts