Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got me an nice 1991 ZZR 1100 C type. Odo says only 24,000 kilometres ridden but I find that a bit hard to believe. There are some mods done on it like blinker covers changed to be smoky instead of carrot orange and as far as I can tell, the original pipes have been cut off and someone welded shortened Yoshimura cans on it. It looks...passable but sounds great tho.

3 days of owning the bike it spat it's chains out, without damage to bike luckily, and I got new chains and stock size front and back sprockets.While my dad came to pick me and the bike up from the side of the road with a van, I think in the transport to our garage the fairings got damaged as the bike fell off the centre stand and leaned against the van wall. Mean after getting it running and riding for 2 days i noticed major splintering along the other side of the fairings and I had to take the side ones off and tape and zip tie the ends of the front fairing around the frame.

Here's where the project starts, I ordered A-Tech mini side farings and will get the undercowl later, I want to leave the engine more exposed than in original. Also the little bit damaged front fairings getting a replacement from a used bike. When I paint them, I'll probably paint the tank too cause it will look out of place otherwise.
The rear fairings are a bit beat up too and I honestly kinda hate the super wide look of them, I intent to mould custom ones from fibreglass at my uni, I am an industrial designer student so it should count as some bonus stuff to my studies after all too lol.
Speaking of making custom parts, someone installed a massive touring windshield on this and it nicely blasts all the wind directly at my face. And it looks pretty ugly. And I absolutely refuse to pay like 100 euros for a shaped piece of plexiglass, so I'll have my hand at making my own, double bubble style. Make an nicely formed base mould copying the current windshield with my own modifications. Mould would probs be wood or that sika block and gently with heat coerce a sheet of plexi to take the shape. How hard can it be? Dont answer me.
Fork swap maybe on the agenda too, I heard the vastly superior ZX 1200 forks should be an easy install on the 1100 with only mods being needed being an D model bearings, a new axel and new wheels. Which is ok because...
New cast alumium wheels, yes I don't want magnesium due to mag not being as durable in the long run. The weight difference in mag and alu isn't that large that a street rossi like me would notice it.
The exhaust I'm still on the edge about either cleaning and making better mountings for the current pipes 4 in 2 pipes or just ordering new ones. New ones do cost a lot tho so there's that. This project isn't getting too cheap already so I might lean on keeping the stock exhaust with the welded Yoshi cans for now.

Writing it out like this makes me think if it's all worth it even, but I do really like the bike a lot, and after owning a few ones that I just minorly tinkered with I do want to actually make it my own. And in the span of bike mods this is pretty baby stuff :D Intend to put this bike with it's minor custom parts into my portfolio then ✌

Edit: due to student budget I'm thinking of just installing progressive springs in og forks, saves me from buying zzr1200 forks and new breaks. I'll just get the light wheels later, maybe during next summer.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
UH, ZX-11 front BRAKES (note spelling for future use), fit a ZZR1200 fork assembly. They are a straight bolt on. You dont need new bearing, axle etc.... I know cuz Ive installed ZZR1200 front forks

If u truly are a student, (wondering about your spelling), you sure as hell are not going to be able to afford "light" wheels later. New ones start @ $2k, and used ones like mine are like Unicorns & still expensive. Magnesium is far superior and lighter then aluminumnumnum...you WILL notice the difference between the two. Ive had mine for 6 years so I dont know about this less durable statement.

Ive got as set of OEM exhaust pipes for a 91 ZX-11..... real clean

$100 plus S&H......

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
ZX-11 front BRAKES (note spelling for future use), fit a ZZR1200 fork assembly. They are a straight bolt on. You dont need new bearing, axle etc.... I know cuz Ive installed ZZR1200 front forks
On a D maybe but he wrotes he got a C so many parts will be different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UH, ZX-11 front BRAKES (note spelling for future use), fit a ZZR1200 fork assembly. They are a straight bolt on. You dont need new bearing, axle etc.... I know cuz Ive installed ZZR1200 front forks

If u truly are a student, (wondering about your spelling), you sure as hell are not going to be able to afford "light" wheels later. New ones start @ $2k, and used ones like mine are like Unicorns & still expensive. Magnesium is far superior and lighter then aluminumnumnum...you WILL notice the difference between the two. Ive had mine for 6 years so I dont know about this less durable statement.

Ive got as set of OEM exhaust pipes for a 91 ZX-11..... real clean

$100 plus S&H......
Yeah I'm a student from Finland so excuse me that my English isn't perfect. And as Calude pointed these are different models that I very clearly stated. You need to change the master bearing on the front assembly to fit the ZZR 1200 fork to the model C 1100. I know the parts fit because kawa uses the same frame for almost two decades. The axle on C is 5mm thinner than D model so unless the fork comes with one, need to get it separately. Brakes aren't an issue, I could salvage ones from a ZZR1200 or get ones from a gixxer, read on another post that they fit with minor modifications. Mag wheels are also more hard and thus brittle. Also almost twice the price of alu. Some back country roads here are pretty shitty so aluminiummumum wheels are a nice compromise between weight and durability. The weight differance is significant between stock wheels and light alloy. But differance between aluminium and magnesium is not worth the extra price tag. Specailly as I only do one or two track days a year. You can get a pair of Galespeed alu wheels on webike for about 1200€. Also funnily enough I'd need to buy model C rear wheel and model D front wheel due to different axles used.
GALE SPEED : Taottu alumiininen takapyörä [TYPE-R] Lasipinnoitus [28373105Q] GALE SPEED : Taottu alumiinipyörä [TYPE-R] Lasipinnoitus [28373007Q]

As for the exhaust, I kind of like the way they look now, so I might leave them as is, just clean up the welding sputter that's on the muffler and remake one of the connection brackets. One of them's ok, but the other is pretty hideous and they are about 10-15mm misaligned with each other, makes the bike look "crosseyed" from the rear. Previous owner was not a master welder for sure.

And don't go questioning my financial status man, you think I'm pulling all this out of my ass? I'm not buying everything on the spot, it's a long term plan. I got this bike to keep and make my own.

Edit: Yes the links in Finnish cause I pulled them from my bookmarks, but it's to show the price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts