Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New mount now completed, looks much better than the original location.

Using a homemade stainless steel stud, tapped to accept the 3/8 whitworths thread on the RAM mount ball.

which fits into this thread

Picture showing components before fitting, short RAM arm, Ball already fitted to replacement stud.

Shown fitted with GPS unit mounted

View from front, note that when i'm sat on the bike it does not obscure either of the clocks.

Finally using the parts left over from the original mount and the RAM camera mount, I have created a place for my camera on the bike, for recording video's etc. Please note that when I took the photo I had not rerun the cable to the GPS, I have now done that but did not bother to take new photo's (mostly because my camera battery died :nana ).

Hope this gives some of you some idea's if you need them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice clean job Ian! very well done....:mfclap :clap :mfclap :clap

Jerry

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks great! So when are you putting them into production?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this much is a fact, if others were ever made they would not be the same grade of stainless, that destroyed a few of taps due to it's hardness.
But at least it will last, to be honest though mild steel powder coated would work just at well, and be easier to tap the threads onto.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nice job Ian, Good quality alloy would suit I suppose as well. This mod could be used for most of the sat-navs as well like Zumo etc which come with a bike mount. By the way..looks like you are nearly due the first service:clap

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are indeed correct on both points, Hitman, Due to RAM mounts having adapters for just about every device you can think of, this will work for all of them, you may need the longer arm if mounting some of the larger items but makes no difference to the design. As for the service, it is almost here, but due to medical issues in the family I have done zero miles pretty much in the last fortnight, and not sure when it's going to change, at least the bike's not going anywhere and will be ready for when I get the time to ride it!
If it were not for this forum (which i'm using mostly in work...bad me) I would go crazy......too late....
:crazyloco :crazyloco :runaway :crackup :banghead :eek:hno

·
Registered
104 Posts
New mount now completed, looks much better than the original location.

Using a homemade stainless steel stud, tapped to accept the 3/8 whitworths thread on the RAM mount ball.

which fits into this thread

Picture showing components before fitting, short RAM arm, Ball already fitted to replacement stud.

Shown fitted with GPS unit mounted

View from front, note that when i'm sat on the bike it does not obscure either of the clocks.

Finally using the parts left over from the original mount and the RAM camera mount, I have created a place for my camera on the bike, for recording video's etc. Please note that when I took the photo I had not rerun the cable to the GPS, I have now done that but did not bother to take new photo's (mostly because my camera battery died :nana ).

Hope this gives some of you some idea's if you need them.
I'm fitting my newly purchased TomTom Rider2. I'm wiring it to the accessory wires under the left front panel. The bikes wires are black and black/yellow which according to the handbook are 'pos' and 'neg' respectively. The TomTom wiring harness comes with black and red wires with no mention as far as I can see of which is 'pos' and which is 'neg'.

Haviong wired yours (successfully I assume) can you tell me which should be connected to which or doesn't it matter? Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ian, I'm fitting my newly purchased TomTom Rider2. I'm wiring it to the accessory wires under the left front panel. The bikes wires are black and black/yellow which according to the handbook are 'pos' and 'neg' respectively. The TomTom wiring harness comes with black and red wires with no mention as far as I can see of which is 'pos' and which is 'neg'.

Having wired yours (successfully I assume) can you tell me which should be connected to which or doesn't it matter? Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi garry, have responded in other thread as well, but the female bullet connector with the shroud (insulation) is the positive, the red wire goes to this one, the uninsulated male connector is the negative. as a rule of thumb the positive will always be the protected one to prevent shorts etc.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi garry, have responded in other thread as well, but the female bullet connector with the shroud (insulation) is the positive, the red wire goes to this one, the uninsulated male connector is the negative. as a rule of thumb the positive will always be the protected one to prevent shorts etc.

Enjoy!
Thanks Ian. Going down to Germany, Austria and Switzerland on Monday so need to get this sorted.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm lucky you, i'll be stuck in work lol.

well if theirs anything your not sure of just shout, I typically check the board twice a day at least.

·
Registered
104 Posts
All fitted and working well. I'l post some pictures of my mods after i'm back fronm my trip. Thanks for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts