Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently acquired a one owner 2000 ZX9R with 3,800 original miles on it. I had always wanted one just like it, something about the green with green wheels and the green, blue, purple color combination has always drawn my attention. It had new Michelin Pilot Powers, chain, battery, and Yoshimura pipe all done shortly before I bought it. The previous owner bought the bike new in 2000 when he was 50 years old. He ended up selling it due to knee problems that had been getting worse over the prior few years, with intentions of repurchasing a cruiser. I added the seat cowl, chain guard, and repainted the mirrors green from the original purple. I have ridden about 600 miles since I got it, liking it more everytime I ride. These bikes are everything the articles say they are, powerful, comfortable, and good looking. I paid $4000 for it, maybe a little more than I should have, I don't know, but to me it was worth every penny as I had been dreaming of owning one just like it for years :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't trip about the money part you have a gorgeous example of a ZX that any one of us would be proud to own, very nice!

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Lucky you! You found the last one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the forum

OMG, seriously that is one of the nicest examples I have seen. Good buying.
Nice touch painting the mirrors.
I like the cowl you got, is it removable? Or fixed?
Where is it from?

I bought a cowel from Pyramid plastics in the UK, that was supposed to be fixed.
That made no sense to me being fixed-
So I bought a spare rear seat and ground it down to fit inside the cowl then siliconed it on to make the cowl pop off like the original rear seat.

There is a member http://www.zxforums.com/forums/23975-vegasninjaniner.html with photos of his nine on the thread- http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-9r-forum/18819-lets-see-your-zx9r-2.html.

His model is the 1999 with the similar colour scheme with Carozzeria wheels.
It has to be one of the hottest looking nines on the forum, the wheels are awesome.
Although your tail and seat looks better than the way his is done.

His wheels on your bike and it wins best nine ever award from me.

Have a look.

Next time I have a spare $2000 bucks Im getting me some of those wheels.

Love your bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments! The seat cowl is from CustomCowls, based out of England. I ordered it off E-Bay about 3 months ago (they still sell them), I paid about $140 if I remember right, including shipping to the states. It is removeable, and already has the hooks and pin built in. Literally you just prep, paint, and clear it (ordered paint from ColorRite), remove the back seat and install the cowl, turn the lock and your done! I did shim the tail plastic up a little at the back of the front seat for a little cleaner and tighter fit. I also cut out a groove in the pin just above the existing groove for the same reason. It actually looked pretty good before I did those two things but I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to that stuff. The materials and craftmanship are top notch/sturdy. When I first painted the mirrors I wasn't sure if I liked them, but they have grown on me and I'm going to leave them that way. The only other idea I thought I might try is changing the lower fairing/belly pan from black to green. I am hesitating on that one though. What do you think?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Very nice. One of the best looking 9R I have seen. As far as the belly pan IMO I would leave it. I personally like the color scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Good looking bike, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The belly pan choice is a tough one.
I think green may tip the balance and end up being too much green.
Maybe you consider Purple like the top around the screen or just leave it.
I changed my belly pan, air intake and front guard sides to satin raven black from grey.
But my bike is straight metallic green. So the choice was easy.
Check out some black short levers from shop.the2wheels.com.
I just got some and they are great quality and amazingly inexpensive.

·
#1 BMW Traitor
6,376 Posts
Nice looking bike, super clean......definite upgrade from the blue minivan:mfclap

·
Registered
155 Posts
reviving old thread, can anyone advise if their was an OEM rear seat cowl offered by Kawasawki for the 2000 black purple mica /violet version of the 9R? I am searching for a cowl and seems I can only find the glossy black which would work but even unpainted and buying paint from colorite.com would be great

1 - 18 of 18 Posts