Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all of zxforums. Just recently joined after being shown this site from a fellow member of the forum 502streetscene.net when I posted for advice on there. I have a 1994 Zx-9R that I have had for about 6 years now. Ive always kept on the basic maintenance of the bike but It appears the trouble im having with it right now is slightly beyond that, and im seeking your alls advice. Last fall I was riding home from work and the bike lost all power it just killed off and rolled to a stop it had absolutely no power, lights, nothing was coming on when the key was on and it just all happened instantly. I got my trailer and brought it home. The battery is fine. I thought with the way it died instantly maybe a fuse was blown but the fuses I could see all looked good. Any ideas?? The bike is an inheritance from my uncle who passed away in a car accident in 2002 and I would like to have it back on the road for his memorial ride in may.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Hello all of zxforums. Just recently joined after being shown this site from a fellow member of the forum 502streetscene.net when I posted for advice on there. I have a 1994 Zx-9R that I have had for about 6 years now. Ive always kept on the basic maintenance of the bike but It appears the trouble im having with it right now is slightly beyond that, and im seeking your alls advice. Last fall I was riding home from work and the bike lost all power it just killed off and rolled to a stop it had absolutely no power, lights, nothing was coming on when the key was on and it just all happened instantly. I got my trailer and brought it home. The battery is fine. I thought with the way it died instantly maybe a fuse was blown but the fuses I could see all looked good. Any ideas?? The bike is an inheritance from my uncle who passed away in a car accident in 2002 and I would like to have it back on the road for his memorial ride in may.
Did you check the main fuse on the starter relay?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Did you check the main fuse on the starter relay?
This , and follow the wires if not, start from the battery and work your way, old bikes sometimes get bad wires depending on weather/storage conditions

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the wires and all seem to be good. I didnt check the starter relay because ive seen before that they still get power to everything when the starter relay is bad and my bike is not getting power to anything when i turn the key its no different that when it is off the gauge panel/neutral light/headlights nothing comes on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im considering the main computer hopefully i can find one on here for sale or one locally to test

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I checked the wires and all seem to be good. I didnt check the starter relay because ive seen before that they still get power to everything when the starter relay is bad and my bike is not getting power to anything when i turn the key its no different that when it is off the gauge panel/neutral light/headlights nothing comes on.
The main fuse for your system is on the starter relay. Check that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finally found it ran my fingers between the positive cable and the starter relay and found a slight burn when i cut the loom off it had burned just enough to disconnect it and not make contact when i get off work im gonna pick up a new solder roll and im hoping to be back on the road with it the it was barely even able to be seen on the loom that it had burned but inside it was scorched also the 30a fuse in the starter relay popped after i cut the bad part out and put the wires together can i run a 40a in there after i solder the wire back i have a 40a on my garage counter thats good

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
No stick to the correct fuse it'll save your ass from catching on fire lol
+1 A 40 amp will not protect your wiring or your bike in the event of an overload. That means melted wires and other very bad things. Stick with the 30 amp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the help guys i downloaded the manual and the 30a was the orginial fuse that was in there so i just picked a box of 5 up on my lunch break i got the wire where it broke connection soldered this morning before i went into work ill put the fuse in and the battery back in when i get off work later and let everyone know how it went....the cable was kinked around where im guessing my uncle had moved it to instead of the straight line it showed in pictures i searched and at that kink is where it burned up i have it straightened out re connected and i heatshrinked new tubing around it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the 30a put the battery on turned the key on nothing came on checked the fuse and it immediately blew that one too?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My guess from reading is that I still have a bad connection somewhere on the wiring harness

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Follow that wire maybe replace it instead or just soldering it back together, also look around the steering neck sometimes the harness gets chaffed cause the forks pinch it going side to side keep looking electrical issues are a pain but you can learn a lot about your bike by shooting them good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks ill check out around the forks i remember my gauge lights being finicky for a bit a few weeks before this happened

1 - 17 of 17 Posts