Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1991 ZX600 Ninja in October. Slacked off on working on it over the winter and now I want to ride it. I've changed the oil & filter, new battery, plugs and air filter. And besides cleaning it I haven't done much else. I bought the bike for $1200 from a guy that had the bike for 3 years and never rode it, and he said whomever sold it to him the carbs needed cleaning. The idle was rough when I bought it, but now, when I rev it the idle sticks to whatever I revved it to. And when it's not doing that, it stalls below 2000 rpm and at 2000 rpm sounds like its running at 500 rpm. I don't think it's running on all four cylinders. Not only that, but there's blue smoke coming from the vance and hines exhaust, between the header and the muffler sections. I Don't See A Leak! I think it's time to just give up and send it to a repair shop.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I bought a 1991 ZX600 Ninja in October. Slacked off on working on it over the winter and now I want to ride it. I've changed the oil & filter, new battery, plugs and air filter. And besides cleaning it I haven't done much else. I bought the bike for $1200 from a guy that had the bike for 3 years and never rode it, and he said whomever sold it to him the carbs needed cleaning. The idle was rough when I bought it, but now, when I rev it the idle sticks to whatever I revved it to. And when it's not doing that, it stalls below 2000 rpm and at 2000 rpm sounds like its running at 500 rpm. I don't think it's running on all four cylinders. Not only that, but there's blue smoke coming from the vance and hines exhaust, between the header and the muffler sections. I Don't See A Leak! I think it's time to just give up and send it to a repair shop.
Hey bro, sorry to hear that crappy news but a bike is always worth saving, you are burning oil bro, start lookin for a complete engine gasket set and a top end set.

·
Registered
381 Posts
+1

also look at having the carbs rebuilt by a pro. I would do them for you for no charge but I'm quite a ways from you.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Heres a quick test see if your bike is running on all 4 cylinders. Don't be scared, I do it all the time.

Fire the bike up and let it run enough to get some heat in the exhaust. Lick your fingers and quickly touch the header where it comes out of the #1 cylinder. If it running on that cylinder it will be hot enough to sizzle the saliva off your fingers pretty quick. Repeat this on the header tubes of all 4 cylinders. When you get to a cylinder thats not running, it wont be hot enough to sizzle your spit. It will be noticably cooler. Go ahead and laugh. It sounds like a stupid test but it will tell you which cylinder is dead in 10 seconds. I used to do it all the time with my old KZ1000. However it doesn't have a fairing so the header is exposed. I hadn't considered whether your fairing will prevent this test. Has anyone else ever done this? My dad taught me it, and it works.
T

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I need a professional Carb rebuild and sync. Should I try to rebuild the carbs myself to save money? or should I grab my ankles, take it like a man and just let a shop do everything?

As for burning oil, when I change the plugs, the color of the old ones was perfect. Shouldn't they have been oil fowled? I think oil actually got into one of the seems of the exhaust during the oil change. That Vance & Hines SS2-R system really doesn't leave any room by the oil plug or the filter cap. My engine oil is clean, but I get an occasional drip of the blackest oil. ???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and I like the cylinder test idea. But wouldn't it be less painful just to spit directly onto the pipe? or even grab a spray bottle?

·
Registered
381 Posts
you could always rent a temp lazer gun or purchase one, they are only about 30 dollars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts