Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself since I'll be using this site and be getting a lot of opinions from you fellow riders. This is my first ZX6RR. I've owned a '93 ZX7R and an '02 ZX7r. Reason I went down in size is I would like to get some track days in and hopefully keep going forward from there. It was a hard choice for me between this bike and a '05 R6 the dealer had but I chose this one since I've always wanted a Kawi green bike and it's better oriented for the track than the R6. This will be my 7th year in riding. 3 in Phoenix, 2 in Germany and this will be my 2nd in North Dakota which is not a good riding place but I'm stuck here for at least another year.

I have a lot to learn about this bike in some areas. I'm used to carburated engines so this will be a new area for me. The bike is bone stock. First few things I would like opinions on are the exhaust, rear sets and power/performance mods. I know my pegs would hit before my knee did on the 7R but those sit a lot lower than this bike. Would rear sets be needed for track days? I haven't rode the bike yet so I have nothing to judge this on so sorry if it comes off as a noobie question. What are some basic performance mods for the bike? And what exhaust do ya'll prefer. If I just chose a slip on I was thinking maybe a Muzzy but does anyone know what type of exhaust comes with the hotbodies undertail with the dual exhaust outlets?

Here's some pictures of the bike:
(taken from dealership, not picking up until 21 March)
2005 ZX6RR

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Nice bike, i am in the same situation, I am from NJ and stuck in Grand Forks, ND for another year for school. As far as exhaust goes, try the Yosh pipes. For power a power commander.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You ever get on northernanimation.com or fargostreet.com? I'm on NA under the same screen name. I think some people are trying to get a group together to ride to Medora I believe. Haven't been there but I here there are some curves up there. You know anything about the Branier (spelling) track? I would like to find out if they have track days and head over there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You frequent northernanimation.com or fargostreet.com? I'm on NA under same screen name. You know anything about the Branier (spelling) track? I'd like to find out if they have track days and head over there.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
No, not really, email me and let me know. I am down for some rides asap. Me and a copule buddies are plannin to go to Mineapolis and sturgis this summer.
I cant wait.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hey spdfrkaby,

that wouldn't be speedfreakasianboy by chance? nice ride! own an 06 ZX6RR myself in da islands. i can say from seeing a hotbodies mod up close. that the pipes are loud. if i can remember right, it is original hotbodies slip ons that are included in the kit. the guy who had the kit said the exhaust just ran to hot. it was uncomfortable for his gf to sit on. he eventually dumped the slip ons and just kept the body kit. he uses a gp custom pipe instead now. the exhaust blows out under the bike. can't even see the exhaust at all. that thing is just as loud.

like you i came from carb/sliders 91 ZX7R, 96 ZX7RR i'm finding the fuel injectors are finicky. i can't seem to keep a constant throttle like carbs. especially, at a very low speed. though i've only been on the bike since nov of last year. may be it is just me or i need more time to adjust. i guess time will tell.

as for exhaust, i was originally looking at a full muzzy titanium myself. after talking with a couple of other ZX6R636 riders here. one who had a muzzy system he stated the akrapovic gave a just a tad bit more ponies. from the shop here, a fellow racer. who raced an 05 636 before they closed the track. also said the akrapovic evo system was a bigger difference then the muzzy he used. i was a muzzy/kawi supporter don't get me wrong. i just want more bang for my bucks. i heard several akrapovics personally on 05636s they run quiet until you get on that throttle. niffty feature i like. looking forward to the akrapovic evo II system when it gets here.

as for mods, i think it's personal choice. i got my ZX6RR used and couldn't stand that rear fender. got rid of that and that black windscreen the previous owner had. i think you may want to ditch those signals for flush mounts and that bulk rear fender. as for rearsets, i just want to change them out for a color match set up. i read that even for race it's personal preference.

welcome and congrats on your 05 ZX6RR.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice post Kawinoob. I'm not speedfreakasianboy if that's a screen name. That's weird though because I am 1/2 Korean. I'm definately ditching the front signals for some flush mounts. I'v been doing research and found that the hotbody undertail exhaust runs really hot so I'll be staying away from that kit. I would love to get akrapovic full system but that's around $1000 dollars. That may be one of my winter purchases to start off next season. I'm already getting the fender eliminator which puts the plate down under the tail, the signal integrator and I need a new front michilin power tire since the bike had two different brands on it when I bought it the other day. I'm also thinking about getting the attack kawasaki decal kit like the ones on formula extreme but unsure of that yet. May try something custom. I really want to put a speedfreak logo on the bike somewhere but unsure of where.

I haven't been on the bike yet since it's still snowing up here and my foot is still broke from surgery back in Jan which has to be refixed next month. But, how is the ride compared to the 7R? I'm used to how low the bike sat and easy it was to get around the corners in them. Giving the huge weight difference, is the 6rr about equivalent to the 7r speed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.