Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys - I've been to look at a tidy B1 - 23K

From cold and as it approaches temperature, if you blip the throttle there's a pronounced puff of smoke - def not white, and a fuel/oil smell. Hard to tell if it's blue or grey really.

A few details:
It's been on SORN since 2016, so hasn't been out on rides, but the owner says he starts it regularly, and it did start straight away from cold.
The guy I took with me who has one, noted the oil sight glass was full, instead of 1/2 way

Possibilities?
Running rich perhaps
Valve guide seals gone hard
Too much oil
Nothing wrong at all

Here's a quick clip - it does this each time you rev it and you rev it quite hard (once warm) it's more pronounced than here.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,277 Posts
Hello guys - I've been to look at a tidy B1 - 23K

From cold and as it approaches temperature, if you blip the throttle there's a pronounced puff of smoke - def not white, and a fuel/oil smell. Hard to tell if it's blue or grey really.

A few details:
It's been on SORN since 2016, so hasn't been out on rides, but the owner says he starts it regularly, and it did start straight away from cold.
The guy I took with me who has one, noted the oil sight glass was full, instead of 1/2 way

Possibilities?
Running rich perhaps
Valve guide seals gone hard
Too much oil
Nothing wrong at all

Here's a quick clip - it does this each time you rev it and you rev it quite hard (once warm) it's more pronounced than here.

Well, on the 94-97 zx9r models, you have to overfill the engine with oil to prevent rod #3 from starving. It would exhibit the same symptoms as this zx-12r.

So the answer is: too much oil.
Next question is: why is it overfilled?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I don't know why it's been overfilled - perhaps the owner just got it wrong?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,277 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know why it's been overfilled - perhaps the owner just got it wrong?
I'm not familiar with the gen1 zx-12r motors like I am with some zx9r motors and the zx7 motors. Maybe it's something that the P.O. did as a precaution?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts