Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a left over, new 2008 atomic silver zx14 for 8300 plus fees and tax, title, tag. Out the door it comes to 9700, is that a good deal for a 08 considering its new and comes with a full fatory warranty? Or should I wait and save up for a 12'? I hear everyone on another zx14 forum slamming the 1st gen 14's now that the new one is out. Bad clutch, bad tranny, bad suspension, remove this, remove that, for more response... All I know is I had a 08 zedx10r and loved the power and handling, I also had a 06 and 08 busa and loved them for their power and comfort! I haven't tried the zx14 and think it would be better than the busa as far as tranny and ergo's. Lotta questions I know, but I'm signing the paper work on tuesday. Feedback, opinions please. Thanks much!!

Cj.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7%, $300 freight, $225 build, $50 dealer/doc fee, $4 tire and battery, $50 title, $150 Registration, $600 taxes + 8325 for the bike. I would buy used its just something about having a new bike that no one has ridden before me, that i get to break in the right way, and is backed with a warranty that i dont have to pay extra for. Just don't know if i should hold off and get a 12, or if i can find a better deal somewhere else.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
I would tell them to waive the fees if theyre interested in selling it..not like theres a line up of people wanting to buy it right?..

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Freight? Get a ride and pick that shit up yourself.

Assembly? If they wan't to sell it they will eat that too. In fact, why is it not already assembled?

· Registered
1,891 Posts
Dude, haggle a little. Tell em to eat ALL of the fees. Obviously you have to pay tax.

Tell em to waive the fees or your walking. Believe me they'll go for it. Its been taking up space since 2007.

When I bought my bike new, there were no fees involved at all. For a 2011 model zx6r.. I paid about 10k out the door with about 1200 worth of aftermarket parts. And they were askin 10,199 ++ for the bike.

· Registered
18 Posts
Whenever you buy a bike, ask yourself if this bike ticks off the boxes for what you want your bike to do. An '08, with its paltry 170hp at the rear wheel, is more than enough power for 99% of the people who ride motorcycles. If you can ever use every bit of performance an '08 has to offer, you should be working at NASA as a missle pilot. As for complaints at another board, ignore it. The bike is built to take any normal abuse. Forums tend to be a dumping ground for people who don't know what they are doing to vent about not being able to do it. The price is OK but seems a little high. If you've had Busas in the past, why not save up and get the 2012 and make the leap? I guess if I had over $15k to spend on a bike, I'd by two. No bike is worth more than $10 grand, no matter what it does.

· Registered
140 Posts
That's a lot in fees, what's your tax rate where you're at.
local shop here has a new 2011, blue for $10,322 out the door, including taxes and eveything. Sitting on the showroom. I passed on it and picked up a 08 special edition with pcIII, ignition module, stretched, lowered with LEDs...only 4k miles for $6,000 cash. Ill never buy new again!

· Registered
6,392 Posts
Lots of wealthy residents in Sarasota. The dealer thinks you are one too.
the bike is 4 years old now. walk in there with $8,000 cash and say you are ready to buy now for $8,000 cash out the door.

If the dealer balks, thank them politely. Leave your phone number and walk out the door. If you actually make it out the door, they will call you withinn 3 days. can you wait 3 days?

I would wait and buy the 2012 model.

before yoiu do anything, call Sky Powersports. they have a few locations in Florida. I've heard about some amazing deals coming out of Sky powersports. http://www.skypowersportsportrichey.com/default.asp

Your Sarasota dealer is not doing you any favors.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Two years ago I paid $9K off the show room, plus tax tag etc. I think they should push down to $8K or so. My 2 cents.

· Registered
69 Posts
They might think it tax time and u just have cash to spend.They will work with u.There 2 much hipe up on th 2012 zx14 for them not to let it go.

· Registered
418 Posts
My personal opinion is that the fees are too high. The advice of the other posters is dead on. I see a DOC fee, a registration fee and a licence fee - why are they not the same? Where I am it's 48 bucks for licence and registration for a new bike. No build fee either. Play hardball - if they don't budge it will still be there in a month.

· Registered
400 Posts
I prefer new. Especially for bikes. What can you get for same $, new? Maybe knock of a couple or few bucks off, if lucky. But if can't get this one, what else is there? If you don't buy it, what then? You got nothing. How much more can you get for your $. There is only one 08 left, at that price. To me, somewhere in that price range is a killer value for a 08 14, brand new. What are risks of used? How much cheaper is used? IDK, but I can't think of more bike for the $. It's a sweet bike that can do so much. I am pretty hard on machinery so I don't buy it to look at, be looked at or spent more time polishing than riding. It gets used up. Maybe get them to change the stock tires right off cause they suck...

The 14r is considerably more $. But if you want it, buy it. It is better. I could tell just sitting on the darn thing.

Now that I blab my face off here, I realize what matters to me don't matter...

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I buy a new bike every feb. In the past years I've got some awesome deals, this year it seems dealerships aren't budging to where they did last year. The dealership I usually buy from is in ocala, its 250 miles from me but i dont mind cause of the deals i get. I called them (RideNow), as well as Sky, Action, Barneys, Ars, everyone said the same thing. They have no clue how I can get the bike that cheap, even with it being a 2008. My guy at ride now said the bikes he got from kawasaki auction cost him more than that. Kawasaki is not offering the big insentives they were last year around this time. I've priced out 600's that are 2009's and up and they are the same price as this 14 is. I've looked on ebay, cycletrader and even called out of state to cherry hill, nj. wisconsin, virginia, and arizona. Cant find anyone with a new 14 this low. Of course the oldest one i could find is a 2010. I think this is the only 08 left, lol. I don't know, I'll feel them out tomorrow. Already got them down from there original price of 10,400(manager) to 9,700 after talking with the owner.

· Registered
6,392 Posts
It's not like they have something rare and super desireable on the floor. It's a 4 year old new bike. Since you feel the price is acceptable, ask for a new set of Michelin PR3s in 190/55 & 120/70 mounted/balanced with the tire warranty and the 4 year Kawi manuf. warranty in the deal and you will buy it. OEM tires suck anyway.

· Registered
400 Posts
If you're buying a new bike every year, what about resale? Probably lose there more than what you can save on new. That a new 08 hasn't sold might tell ya about that. But if you want big cc sportbike torque outta the box, might be the lowest $ point of entry at this time new. Seems to me around here at least is there seems to be a bit of trend away from big sportbikes and towards adv's and european stuff especially in used demand market. So guess another part of the equation is not just $ but want.

· Registered
941 Posts
local shop here has a new 2011, blue for $10,322 out the door, including taxes and eveything. Sitting on the showroom. I passed on it and picked up a 08 special edition with pcIII, ignition module, stretched, lowered with LEDs...only 4k miles for $6,000 cash. Ill never buy new again!
$6,000.00 for a 4K miles ZX-14 or less is the price. New ZX-14 buyers are pretty disciminating buyers and they don't abuse their motorcycles. Once that ZX-14 hits the street, at the most its just another immaculate under 4K miles $5800+- bike. Pick up one of those bikes and you got the best buy.

For a cash out of pocket buyer, that new '08 is a $7500.00 m/c.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.