Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I hope someone can help me with this.
I have a 99 ZX9R I love it, but it's been in storage for a year and a half now. with stable in the gas.
But I took it out this spring I put a new air filter in it new oil oilfilter all new lines on the gas tank *the three that come out the back*
as well as new spark plugs.

but the bike is running like crap. when i get on it in 1st and 2nd gear it will rip your arms off but if you stick it in a higher gear it does nothing but bogs. if you give it gas then leg off the bike will jump just a little bit like it's being flooded with gas. the weird thing is it's not leaking fuel on the ground or anything.
If i want to get it going fast i have to keep the R's up starting in 1st.
I just finished running a can of seafoam through it and it's getting better but still isn't running very well on top. low RPM's it starts idles perfect.
It's got a D&D pipe on it and a uni air filter.
it was a Cali Bike not in MN but the first year the bike was in MN it ran perfect with tons of power just now that it's been taken out of storage it's not running right.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
need to clean the carbs,drain all the old gas too.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used carb cleaner on it.
Ran seafoam through it.
and on fresh gas.
Could a plugged fuel filter cause this?

·
Registered
683 Posts
need to clean the carbs,drain all the old gas too.....
Agreed 100%
I here a lot of people recomending different kinds of fuel additive/carb cleaners. I've never had any luck with these kinds of products. In my opinion they are almost worthless. They certainly can't compare with actual carb disassembly and cleaning.
T

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with the carb cleaning as well. I had about the same probalem with zx-11. Come to find out the carbs where still pretty nasty after running 3 tanks with different cleaning agents in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help guys.
I always thought cleaners like seafoam helped.
Tonight the carbs come apart hopefully tomorrow she'll be able to go 65 in 4th gear without puking out. :banghead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts