Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to everyone on the forum new guy here. Let me say sorry for the length first thing. I have been working on a friends 1986 zx1000R and I am almost done with it. It has been a real challenge. He brought me the bike after it had been sitting in his shed for the last 6 years. I can tell you this bike has come a long way. There was a nice mouse nest on top of the engine and one in the airbox. Thank goodness Kawasaki decided to put a metal frame behind the airfilter. That prob saved the engine since they could not get inside. So far I have replaced the tires, rebuilt the forks, changed the oil, and cleaned the carbs. The problem has really been the carbs for the last few months. I got them reinstalled and # 1 and 4 leaked so I would up re-pollishing the needle seats. I let the carbs sit for awhile with fuel in them and found #4 float was taking on fuel. So I got that replaced and would up reinstalling them again. Then #1 kept leaking and low and behold that float also was cracked and taking on fuel. So more delay and now none of them leak. I finally got the bike out for a test ride and discovered in the past someone changed out the stock needles with 5 groove ones and have been moving the clip. It was behaving like it was lean on the 3rd groove so I moved it to the 4th and the stuttering got worse. So now I am in the 2nd groove and it seems better but has lost power on the low end. I would like to bring it back to stock. I have a feeling these are dyna jet needles and I am tired of messing with these carbs. I just need it to run so I can give it back to him to enjoy

Does anyone have 1 stock vac slide needle for a 1986 ZX1000R on the forum. It is a N36D I have 3 but I need 1 more. So If anyone has one Id like to buy 1 or 4 from you please.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nope partzilla lists them as unavialable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awsome. Thank you. I only need 1. But ill take. 4 if i have to. I appreciate the effort.

·
Premium Member
13,396 Posts
2nd time someone has had issues with jet needles for mid-80s Kaws. There has to be someone out there in the ether who has figured out a substitute part that's still obtainable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update. I put the 3 stock needles i got off of ebay and they really cured the low throttle lag and almost eliminated the 1/4 throttle stuttering. I think if i can get that last one the bike will run properly. It seems this is another example of dyna jet selling a kit that does not work unless you have a dyno to tweak the carbs with. I am really surprised these are so hard to find. Kawasaki sold a lot of these bikes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.