Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background first. Im 21 years old and have technically never "owned" a streetbike. Grew up riding dirtbikes, about 16 years experience on everything from a PW50 to a CR500. Went to Wyotech right out of highschool, where i worked part time for a classmate parting out bikes on Ebay and fixing/flipping ones that where clean enough to make a profit. Proceeded to become a tech at a Chevy stealership fresh out of school in Ohio, realized I was too honest to actually make money working at a dealership and moved back to DE. Also over the last 4 years I have logged ~6,000 miles on friends streetbikes, ranging from DRZ-400 dual sports to a K6 GSX-R, and about 10 miles on an R1 that i quickly realized is quite a bit more bike than I am ready for.. I have already purchased a helmet and gloves, am ordering boots sometime this weekend, and will have at least a jacket before the bike is on the road.

So I've been on the lookout for a project bike on and off for the last 5 months or so, and finally took the hit. Found a 1988 ZX600 with ~20k miles that didn't run. Got the bike, and a plethora of parts for $900, which is amazing (to me) considering most non-running bikes on CL are still well over a grand around here in the spring. The bad part is that the starter clutch is FUBAR. But hey, I have a good one in another engine how bad can it be, right? Lol.

Before I picked up the bike:

About 2 hours after I got the bike home:

I don't have any pic's of the donor engine, but the case is split and it's ready to...well..be a donor. I also figured out the trick to pulling the starter clutch without splitting the case, so I am hopefully going to be able to repair the bike without pulling the engine.

Hit a small snag, but it is to be expected with someone else's project bike. Theres a "small" oil leak from the shifter. Hopefully its just the seal that I found is a common problem, but from how quickly the oil is removing itself from my bike and how much play is in the shaft I'm not too optimistic.

On the bright side, its fresh oil with no water or other contaminants as far as I can tell. I was kind of worried about that, seeing as the filler cap was not on the bike when I bought it.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
nice find! I love the older ninjas. I'll be on the lookout for one next year, preferably a 6. Cant wait to see this thing on road!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice. I love to see people resurrecting the older bikes and getting them back on the road after they have been dormant for so long.

Last summer I scored an 85 and an 87 600 on CL. I got both bikes and a few tubs of spare parts for $500. But it sounds like yours needs a lot less work than mine do.

Hopefully I will get at least one of them on the road this summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts