Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this same topic over at Kawiforums but I'm all about sharing the love for those people who aren't members at both places. :)

Hey everyone, just thought I'd fill you in on some new goodies I have picked up over the last few days. Hopefully will get them all installed this afternoon.

Here's the overall collection. We have: Tech Spec USA Gripster Sport tank grip pads and tank pad, California Sport Touring Grip Puppies, Throttlemeister kit, and RAM mount steering stem kit for a GPS.

Here's detail on the Gripster Sport grip and tank pad. This stuff is similar to Stomp Grips but it has a less severe pattern, in a comparison test I saw this stuff won.

Detail on the Grip Puppies - these are made from Neoprene (think wetsuit) and fit over your stock grips to give a more cushy feel and also a bigger grip for those of us with large hands (and you know what they say about people with large hands - we need large gloves lol). They will have to be cut down about a 1/2" because they are too long, but that's OK, no biggie.

Here's the assembled RAM mount steering stem kit. This fits down into the hole of the steering stem to mount a GPS or other gear. It's also the reason why I want the Ohlins steering damper kit as that's the only damper that will clear this and no other mount seems to fit anywhere on our bike (I've tried a few).

And last but not least the Throttlemeister kit. I'm sure most of you have read about this but what it is is a pseudo cruise control gadget and barend weight. You turn the throttle side barend toward you and it holds pressure on the grip. This will be nice when I ride to LA for business or to visit Advanced Kawi. This is the heavy kit in the black finish.

Here's the Throttlemeister as compared to one of our stock barends.

I cleaned off my old tankpad last night so I will definitely get the Gripsters installed today. Should be able to get everything else as well as it looks like I will have plenty of time. I will get installed pics when I have em.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Throttlemeister kit was $142 shipped from the manufacturer. The heavy option and the black finish options were $10 each. They have regular machined stainless finish, high polish finish, black like I bought, and a black milled finish which is black but then has grooves cut in it for more grip.

http://www.throttlemeister.com/tm.html

The Grip Puppies were $9 and change from CA Sport Touring.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=

The RAM mount was...~$15 from Expressmounts.com (part number RAM-B-342U). This is actually the second one because the first one was defective, hopefully this one works. Otherwise I will have to resort to zip ties. :) I also bought a short arm and a cradle for my GPS from the. Total was around $50 shipped.

http://www.expressmounts.com/item-ram-mount-motorcycle-fork-stem-base-with-1''-ball/ramb342.htm

And the Tech Spec USA Gripster Sport kit was $55 shipped. They have two other materials, one is called high fusion and it's like the grip tape that goes on skateboards, and the other is called Ice and it is clear. Only the snakeskin (what I showed above) and the high fusion are available in the pre-cut kits. The Ice is just available as sheets.

http://www.techspec-usa.com/gs/kawasaki.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
get some pics took of the items fitted... cool... ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Left side Gripster Sport installed:

Right side Gripster Sport installed:

Left front of bike after Gripster install:

Comparison of Throttlemeister barend (left), Shogun barend slider (center), and stock barend (right):

Clutch side Throttlemeister barend - this is just a weight:

Cockpit with Throttlemeister barends installed (you can also see the Gripster tank pad in place):

Throttle side Throttlemeister barend - when you rotate this toward yourself it pushes on a sleeve fitted under the grip and holds the grip in place (but the throttle can still be adjusted):

I didn't have time yet to do the steering stem mount or the grip puppies. Hopefully will do those later today or tomorrow (they are painting our apartments and just got to ours so I had to close up shop so as not to get overspray on the bike).

On the Throttlemeister, on the throttle side I used one of the thick washers and the thin washer to get the spacing correct (there are three thicknesses of washers - a bunch that are thick, 2 that are medium, and one that is very thin).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know this is a little off the topic of your other mods but where did ya get your seat cowl from???....
Came with the bike (I wouldn't have bought the bike if they didn't have the cowl to go with it). Advanced Kawasaki, Buena Park CA.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And here are the Grip Puppies installed. I cut about 3/4" off of each one on the inside and that worked out beautifully. Sprayed them down with a 70/30 mix of dish soap and warm water, they slid right on.

The RAM mount steering stem mount didn't work again. It looks like none of their mounts are compatible with our bike. I FRAKKING HATE RAM MOUNT!!!!! I heartily discourage EVERYONE AND ANYONE FROM BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS. IT TOOK ALMOST A MONTH TO GET A REPLACEMENT FROM THE MANUFACTURER AND THEY NEVER RESPOND TO ANY EMAIL I HAVE SENT THEM. F*!K THEM!!! I literally had to take a pair of Vise Grips to the mount to remove it from the steering stem after it failed to tighten this time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gripster sport makes it look SO Bada$$!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts