Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with many others on this forum, I've found the front suspension on my 2006 14 to be too soft (bottoms on sharp bumps). I checked the Racetech site and they recommend a 1.00 kg/mm fork spring for my weight (180 no gear). My question is whether the springs can be changed with the forks on the bike, or if they have to come off.

The manual says to take them off, and also seems to require some special jigs and tools that I don't have. Is changing the fork springs and replacing the oil doable for the average backyard mechanic or is it better left to a dealer mechanic?

Thanks.

· Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,875 Posts
They have to come off and yes it requires special tools to take the springs out . Imho I would either DIY the tool isn't too bad from what I remember or find a bike suspension shop I would not use the dealer . They charge too much and the work can be really sub-par .

· Registered
127 Posts
I just did mine.

Or I should say that I had a friend do mine.

Getting the forks off/out isn't bad if you are fairly familiar with bikes.

However, you do have to have a couple of special tools to install and remove the springs.

As was said earlier, I would call whatever place you are buying springs from and see what they would charge to install them for you.

Since the forks are already off the bike it shouldn't be too bad.

Also, I shipped mine via UPS.

Illinois to Georgia was about $26.

Box was : 9"X 9.5" X 34"

Make sure you use plenty of bubble wrap.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike

· Registered
67 Posts
I had a good friend do mine, he supports a few local racers and owns a suspension only shop here in Fort Collins (STM). I weight 165-170 and I put in straight rate 1.0kg springs, I also had all the seals and bushing done at the same time. I also splurged and put on a Pitbull steering damper :rofl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.