Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been thinking lately about some performance mods for my bike. 2006 zx 636. Has 21xxx on the clock and just had the valves adjusting. The only performance mod as of now is my micron slip-on that was on the bike when I got it. The Micron looks and sounds fun but, I wouldnt mind a little bit louder or even to know what a better exhaust would be. I know I need to get a power commander and remap her but that's besides the point. Should I keep this exhaust and look to do a different upgrade or would I benefit from a better exahust?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ask yourself these questions:

1. Am I buying a new exhaust because I wan't my bike to go faster?
2. Because I want it louder?
3. Both?
4. How much money am I willing to invest in a bike thats 6 years old?(don't hate, i have an 06 636 w/ 24K on the clock too)

Faster(meaning acceleration)= Could be accomplished much cheaper with new gearing, Jumper mod(look it up), or a PCIII w/ custom tune and no new exhaust. Yes, a properly tuned slip on or full system will net a couple more HP on paper. Will you feel it? Probably not w/o a lot more money invested.

Faster(meaning top speed)= A down payment on a new bike is in your future. Nothing cheap is down this road as far as modding your 636 to do 170mph instead of 160mph. If you wanna smoke a 1000cc bike, buy a Busa.

Louder= buy another exhaust know for being loud(2bros is deep and loud, a cut yoshi is high and loud, a pinebox is throaty and earpiercing). Spend some time listening to videos on youtube, research the forums, or go to some bike meets to hear in person.

Both faster and louder= My OPINION is that the louder the pipe, the less quality and attention towards performance. Loud pipes tend to be more free flowing and supply less backpressure. This is fine for a highly moddified engine that needs to flow that much out. With stock internals, that much flow just messes up the mixture and slows the engine down. Long story short, you can get a really loud pipe and hurt performance on your stock engine or get a normal pipe(akra, micron, whatever) and gain performance.

If you want the best pipe look up Beet or Akrapovic evolution. But those are pricey. Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers on what is the "best exhaust". This was all just my OPINION. No offense was meant by anything above. Disclaimer provided for forum haters

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offense taken at all..I actually really appreciate your honesty. Im not hung up on beating the litre bikes as I know I wont lol and I dont want stupid sounding. I just figured maybe there was a better exhaust than what I have but if it's not like it's worth the money Ill just hold back and rock my micron.Only question is about the 160 mph..??? Ive gotten up to 160 and shes got plenty left in her..I know the speedo is off by 10% or s but still I know she'll make that up once it hop in the next gear and go WOT.

·
Registered
260 Posts
At 160 she doesn't have much left. Website below says 168 tops.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/b...-Reviews/Kawasaki/Kawasaki-ZX-6R-C-2005-2006/

Also, its well known that the 2008 R6 was the first bike to break 170mph stock. You can google check me on that. However, i was a little off on my numbers and we aren't talking about stock bikes. But the speedo is a joke to judge from- I've seen 180+ on mine and I know its BS.

As for your original post- just stick with your micron and put the money somewhere else, unless the tone of your pipe really bothers you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, well i appreciate the no bullshit answer. Thanks for the honesty. That all makes sense and ya I think ill invest in upgrading the brakes before anything else and a custom map.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts