Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to buy a new chain for my 1990 ZX-11C. I looked at a size chart for DID chains and the only chain they have listed to fit my bike is a specialty chain, 530 ZVM2. Is this the only chain DID makes for the ZX-11 ?
Was the stock chain on ZX-11's an o-ring? I have also checked out RK and EK
they also only have one chain listed for my bike. Also if anybody knows a good place on the internet to order a chain. Thanks for youre help.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Are you looking to buy a chain that you can take out of the box and put on without any modification? I think thats nearly impossible. I'd just choose a high quality chain and buy one thats overly long. Then just trim it down to size. To trim it down you can buy a chain breaker tool that pushes the pins out of the links. I've had good luck just using a hand grinder. You grind the end of the pin you want to remove and it comes apart pretty easy. Assemble with a master link and you're done. I know some people run a chain without a master link. You can use the chain breaker tool to put the chain back together with all regular links and no master. I've tried to do it but was not successful. Putting the chain back together is harder than taking it apart. In the end I just used a master link. However, I have experienced master link failure. I believe the master link is generally the weak link in the chain. Next time I need a chain I'll probably try to go without a master link again. I don't let it worry me though. I just make sure that every once in a while I put the bike on the center stand and inspect the chain. Good luck.
T

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you get good wear out of your stock chain? I know I did, might be worth it to put that same chain on then you don't have to screw around with breaking and putting it back togeather. Just a thought.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Any 530 110 link(9000 lbs.) chain will do just make sure you replace the sprockets 17/45/47. O.E.M chains are 532 not 530

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Any 530 110 link(9000 lbs.) chain will do just make sure you replace the sprockets 17/45/47. O.E.M chains are 532 not 530
OEM chain on any ZX-11 is a 530. If you read 532 somewhere, it is a typo or a mistake.

Also, you can not use a 530 chain on a bike that have 532 sprockets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Funny this should come up, I just put a new chain and sprockets on mine today after deciding last week that it's time the old ones go. I checked all over the net for chains, sprockets and kits. While I was at it I also wanted to go up a couple teeth on the rear, I never use all that 175mph potential anyway, but that made finding a kit all the harder. There are "quick acceleration" kits out there that offer a smaller (16T) drive sprocket but you shouldn't, it puts more stress on the countershaft I'm told. I finally found a site, www.sprocketcenter.com that had what I wanted. They told me I should be fine with the DID 530VM but even the DID website recommended the heavier 530ZVM2 for our bikes so I opted for that. He sold me the sprockets (17/47T) and chain cut to proper length, ready to go for $221 w/shipping. I got it here in NY from CA in 2 days! Also, neither of those chains are available with a clip on master link, you HAVE to use a rivet type and I think it's VERY smart if you do! You might spend a bit more but what price is the insurance of not having to worry about your chain letting go??! (Can you say "destroyed engine and/or totalled bike and/or untimely demise"? SPEND the couple extra bucks!!!) After I placed the order for the chain I went on ebay and found a chain cutter/riveter for $52 w/shipping...I got that in about 40 hours! The ebay vendor is "sportingforless". I've never riveted a chain before today but the tool worked admirably, I had NO problem in both cutting the old chain and riveting the new one. The whole job took maybe 1 1/2 hrs taking my sweet time. Oh yeah, going up the 2 teeth in the rear made a nice, slightly noticeable difference...like these bikes need to be faster, lol! Roll-on from 70 mph on up is, umm, "exhilarating" shall I say? Hope this helps, the guys' name at sprocket center is Chad and he'll work with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts