Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Im new to the forum but I have been visiting the site for info since I have been looking into getting a ZX-6R a few weeks ago. Well I went out and got my dream bike this week a 2006 ZX-6R in black. I am in love with this machine. Its one Evil bike! Heres a few qucik pics of it. Not the greatest but I will get some better pics up next week.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Congart's on the buy bro:clap .......i definitly will say with confinece that you WILL have the time of you life on that bike......very nice and powerful machine!!! Hope you enjoy that bike and also wanted to say :welcome to ZXForums.....feel free to ask questions and we'll do out best to answer them......keep her safe!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellow ZX6R'ers! Weather has been decent last few days so I was able to put 110 miles on this weekend. The snow today put an end to my fun but it did not ammount to much. Im considering getting a slip-on down the road, either the Akrapovic or the Yoshimura RS-5 Carbon Cone. The Yoshimura sticks out a bit but sounds nasty and I've got a think for carbon fiber. Stock sound good as far as Ive gone (5,000 rpm) But im used to nasty thumper SBC stroker motors.So I might need some more scream. Any of you guys run aftermarket can's? Which do you think sounds better. Ive got some vids but Im sure they are nothing compared to first hand.

Im also a Chevy/Muscle Car/Drag Car/Motor head

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm getting an Akrapovic can when i get some money saved up!!! I hear one on a CBR 600 and it sound's bad ass!!! Not too throughty but still scream's too get attention!!! I fell in love with it the first time i hear it on a bike....i've also head a Yoshimura, it has more of a raspy(throughty) sound to it and is much higher piched than the Akrap.....good luck on the find and post up with your progress on the can!!! Picture's too when you get it on!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah this is my first bike. What a way to start with a bang. haha Im located in Yankton, South Dakota. Right on the SD/Nebraska boarder in the South East corner. Lots of open empty spaces with nice straightaways for drags and we also have some nice curves and hills for carving.
I was about to order that Akrapovic slip-on last night but I think it might be a good idea to wait until I get the bike fully broken in. That wont take me long once the weather comes around again. I will post pics and a video of the Akrapovic slip-on once I bite the bullet.

ZX Rider: Do you think the Yoshimura is too raspy ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Talk to laidout...he has the Yosh slip-on on his 636...I dont like it only cause it doesnt idle right, even for a slipon. I think it has to do with the bend in the pipe, for the Akro doesnt sound like that.

SV996R has a full Akra system on his 636 and it howls! If you get a full system, you also need a PC3, and his 636 dynoed 129hp to the ground!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Smoke said:
Yeah this is my first bike. What a way to start with a bang. haha Im located in Yankton, South Dakota. Right on the SD/Nebraska boarder in the South East corner. Lots of open empty spaces with nice straightaways for drags and we also have some nice curves and hills for carving.
I was about to order that Akrapovic slip-on last night but I think it might be a good idea to wait until I get the bike fully broken in. That wont take me long once the weather comes around again. I will post pics and a video of the Akrapovic slip-on once I bite the bullet.

ZX Rider: Do you think the Yoshimura is too raspy ?
Yes....raspy on low RPM's but after you get to about 7K-8K RPM it goes to a high screaming sound......Like Beans' said on the 636 it doesn't idle correctly so i wouldn't get it.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You everyone for you responses. Im tempted to order the Powercommander III at the same to to just get it all over with at once. Im not lacking power at all I just want to have it set up the best it can be. Stock seems more than great but I cant leave anything alone I just need to tweak everything. Its an addiction I swear.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Smoke said:
Thank You everyone for you responses. Im tempted to order the Powercommander III at the same to to just get it all over with at once. Im not lacking power at all I just want to have it set up the best it can be. Stock seems more than great but I cant leave anything alone I just need to tweak everything. Its an addiction I swear.
I don't think your that only one that is suffering from that, hehe!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
i love my bike. thanks for going with me beans. have fun with it smokes. i will.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Oil Question

What is the best brand of oil? Im obviously not looking to go to synthetics right now. I was just wondering If a guys better off sticking to KawasChem Oil or switching to Valvoline Cycle oil or Castrol Cycle Oil? What do you guys use for oil?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I used Valvoline Cycle Oil (10W-40) for my break-in period.....i have 1400 mile's on her and i'm going to go to full-synthetic!!! DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC oil while in the "Break-In" period!!! The reason: All the metal chips that come off from your piston ring's are washed away by the typical 10W-40 oil because it is thick enough to take it with itself down to the bottom of the oil pan......if you use synthetic oil during "Break-In" period the metal chiping's will not be easy to get off the cylinder wall's and they might scratch up your cylinder wall!!! Good luck!!!

Remember to use new filter's with every oil change and it's a good idea to change your oil AT LEAST 4 time's before you hit 1000 miles!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very nice and welcome to the family...........:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome

·
Registered
58 Posts
Always nice to see the owner of the same beautiful black beauty :)

Modifications:

- Flushmount EuroSignals (Front)
- Frame Sliders, Black
- Fender Eliminator (not shown)
- Rear Hugger (On the way!)

Here is my baby: 2006 Ninja ZX-6R Black

I've since removed the entire rear fender and replaced it with a Fender Eliminator including LED Tag light / Signals. Looks much better than what you see in the photo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts